Subject: Re: bug#71732: 30.0.50; [FR] xdg: provide an ability to create XDG directory, if it does not exist

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 10:20:34 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> May you please add a functionality to xdg.el to create the directory
>> with right permissions, so that xdg.el users do not need to know these
>> technical details of the spec?
>
> xdg.el is not about creating directories, it is about returning their
> names.
>
> The ability to create a directory with arbitrary permissions already
> exists, and Emacs uses that in umpteen places.  So I'm not sure what
> is missing here.  Not every two-liner needs a dedicated named API.

The missing part is creating a directory that follows XDG spec without
having to consult that spec.

For example, I had no clue that applications using XDG are obliged to
create XDG dirs with 0700 persmissions until someone pointed.

I believe that such technical details would fit within xdg.el API.

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>