Subject: [bug#71722] [PATCH 0/2] services: Update agate-service-type to match actual agate options

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2024 19:01:01 +0200

Hi Rodion,

Rodion Goritskov <[email-masked]> skribis:

> This patches makes agate-service-type work again - because current version of agate present
> in Guix has some options (and their logic) changed, making service-type not working.
>
> I have checked this changes on VM and they seems to be working fine.
>
> Rodion Goritskov (2):
>   services: agate: Update options for compatibility with the current
>     Agate version.
>   services: agate-service-type: Update documentation.

I squashed the two patches (so that the doc is always consistent with
the code) and applied them.

A few things come to mind:

  1. Could you come up with a system test under gnu/tests/*.scm?  That
     would allow us to detect breakage early on next time.

  2. Though a deprecation policy has yet to be written, the idea is that
     we should avoid breaking changes in user configuration as happens
     when changing/removing fields in the config record.

  3. The convention in Guix is to avoid abbreviations (“certificates”
     rather than “certs”, etc.).  I realize those were already there
     though, so I thought I’d rather not ask you for extra work.

Thanks,
Ludo’.