Subject: Re: bug#71716: [PATCH] Add new completion-preview-insert-{word, sexp} commands

From: Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2024 17:00:15 +0200

close 71716 31.1
quit

Jules Tamagnan <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Thank you, pushed to master as commit b3017e7c252, after some tweaks to
>> the commit message.  I've also pushed a follow up commit (9cb2a204088)
>> with some minor refinements, see the commit message for details.  One
>> notable change is that completion-preview-partial-insert does not force
>> point to the position of the preview overlay ("end") before calling the
>> motion function.  This makes completion-preview-insert-word behave more
>> like forward-word when point is in the middle of a multi-word symbol,
>> with the completion preview at the end of that symbol.  I've added
>> another test case that demonstrates this behavior.
>>
>> Could you please give it a try to make sure that everything still works
>> as you expect?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Eshel
>
> I've taken this change around the block since yesterday and everything
> seems to be working exactly as I would expect it to.

Great, I'm therefore closing this bug.  

> I've also reviewed the cleanup that you did and tried to take some
> notes, especially on the commit message.

There was actually one more small issue that I now fixed in commit
5e3b94e1bec - in case completion-preview-insert-word would just move
word without leaving anything inserted, it would still record an
unwanted undo operation (that just inserts and deletes everything again,
basically a no-op).  Now we avoid recording anything in buffer-undo-list
if we're only moving point.

> Thanks again for all of the work that you put into creating this
> packaging in the first place, helping me through my change, and
> cleaning up the rough edges in the aftermath.

Thank you for this nice contribution!

Eshel