Subject: bug#71716: [PATCH] Add new completion-preview-insert-{word, sexp} commands

From: Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2024 20:31:59 +0200

Hi Juri,

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

>> +;; This command is not bound by default, but you may want to bind it to
>> +;; M-f (or remap `forward-word') in `completion-preview-active-mode-map'
>> +;; since it's very much like a `forward-word' that also moves "into" the
>> +;; completion preview.
>
> Also this is very much like 'C-w' in Isearch (isearch-yank-word-or-char),
> and 'C-w' does nothing without the region, only raises an error
> "The mark is not set now, so there is no region".
> So 'C-w' could be bound by default.

Thanks, that's an interesting suggestion.  I prefer not to bind
completion-preview-insert-word by default right away, because Completion
Preview mode should by default be unintrusive, and bindings in
completion-preview-active-mode-map override bindings that users may have
in place when the preview appears.  But if you use this binding and find
it convenient, feel free to add such a recommendation to the commentary.

Best,

Eshel