Subject: bug#71714: 29.3; Emacs behaves as if it is not maximized

From: Patrick Nicodemus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2024 20:24:50 -0400

*OS, Emacs version* : I am on Ubuntu 24.04 using the GUI version of Emacs
in the emacs-gtk package, 29.3. The bug is also reproducible for me on
Emacs 30.50 on this computer. The bug may be a problem with the GNOME
desktop environment or window manager rather than Emacs, but I cannot
reproduce it with any other Ubuntu applications other than Emacs. Intel®
Core™ i7-6700T × 8

*Behavior*: When Emacs is maximized, there is an invisible rectangle whose
top side and left side agree with the top and left side of my monitor,
whose bottom is about 70% of the distance from top of the screen to bottom,
and whose right side is about 45% of the distance from the left edge of the
screen to the right, and the response to a mouse click is identical to the
behavior if Emacs were un-maximized, i.e., was a floating window living in
the top left corner of the screen of that size and shape. A mouse click
outside the invisible window causes Emacs to be minimized, and the next
window comes to the front (Or, if the desktop is the only thing behind
emacs, Emacs is not minimized, and the click has no effect). Clicking
inside the rectangle has the expected effect. In addition to Emacs being
minimized, if the click is outside the invisible window, the mouse click
does not have the expected effect on the Emacs buffer (the cursor does not
move). Other than this, Emacs fully behaves as expected, i.e. text wraps at
the far right of the screen, not the invisible right edge of the window for
mouse input. The behavior persists after disabling "Enhanced Tiling" in the
Ubuntu settings and restarting the computer. The behavior persists when
using the -Q flag.

I cannot reproduce the problem on a laptop which has the same operating
system and Emacs version so this may be difficult to reproduce.  I will
supply additional information to help reproduce if requested.