Subject: Re: bug#71712: 29.3; Crash on OpenBSD

From: Kirill A. Korinsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2024 15:41:45 +0100

On Sat, 22 Jun 2024 13:59:04 +0100,
Po Lu <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> >>   0xbf72627f9a1 <XSetWMNormalHints+0x2fd71> at emacs
> >>   0xbf72625a8ee <XSetWMNormalHints+0xacbe> at emacs
> >>   0xbf72627f6c7 <XSetWMNormalHints+0x2fa97> at emacs
> >>   Segmentation fault (core dumped) 
> >
> The printed offsets from XSetWMNormalHints are so large that the
> function in these frames cannot possibly be our XSetWMNormalHints
> replacement, sorry.

Indeed, and GDB confirms that:

(gdb) p XSetWMNormalHints+0x2fd71
$7 = (void (*)(Display *, Window, XSizeHints *)) 0xbf72627f9a1 <emacs_backtrace+289>
(gdb) p XSetWMNormalHints+0xacbe
$8 = (void (*)(Display *, Window, XSizeHints *)) 0xbf72625a8ee <terminate_due_to_signal+133>
(gdb) p XSetWMNormalHints+0x2fa97
$9 = (void (*)(Display *, Window, XSizeHints *)) 0xbf72627f6c7
(gdb)

Also, OpenBSD quite agressive in term of ASLR (address space layout
randomization), I doubt that it has to do with this, but I feel that it
worth to point. Does it ring any bell?

-- 
wbr, Kirill