Subject: bug#71709: Fix recent change in tramp-sh-handle-make-process

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2024 09:31:21 +0200

Iurie Marian <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello Michael,

Hi Iurie,

> After updating emacs today I got strange errors while running
> consult-find in a remote container, for example:
> ```
> /usr/bin/cat: /tmp/tramp.gBbQP1: No such file or directory
> /usr/bin/cat: /tmp/tramp.SWKx2Y: No such file or directory
> ```
>
> I checked the consult-find (which also points out to a "tramp bug"),
> then I checked the tramp's latest changes and applied that one-line
> from the patch, which fixed my issue.
> (In fact that line `(stderr (plist-get args :stderr))' actually
> nullifies the `stderr', so probably that's why it worked and I had a
> feeling that it is a solution)
>
> Please see below:
> * consult-find: https://github.com/minad/consult/blob/main/consult.el#L4965
> * consult--async-process:
> https://github.com/minad/consult/blob/main/consult.el#L2287C1-L2296C69

Sorry, I don't use consult, and I don't know its code. If we want to
hunt a Tramp bug, we should run a use case with vanilla Emacs, invoking
Tramp's remote make-process.

> I guess, to reproduce the issue, it's enough to invoke `make-process'
> on a remote location and with a non-nil `:stderr' argument (a buffer
> in `consult-find''s case).

Tramp has a very comprehensive test library, see .../test/lisp/net/tramp-tests.el
The test case tramp-test30-make-process runs extensive tests over
make-process, including a non-empty stderr. And of course, I always run
the whole testsuite before I commit serious Tramp changes.

So pls show a recipe how to reproduce the problem, starting with 'emacs
-Q'. And pls contact the consult author(s); they might report a Tramp
problem when they detect such.

> Kind Regards,
> Iurie

Best regards, Michael.