Subject: Re: [bug#71697] [PATCH v3 2/2] scripts: lint: Honor package property to exclude checkers.

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2024 16:16:48 +0200

Hi Greg,

On Thu, 27 Jun 2024 at 12:38, Greg Hogan <[email-masked]> wrote:

> If this is the best use case for a spurious feature request then I
> find this a dangerous addition to the project.

Sorry, I do not see the danger.  What I see is the same policy for the
project – nothing is changed – and the patch set provides an helper for
third-party channels outside the project.

When developing or maintaining a third-party channel outside the
project, one might systematically run:

    guix lint -L . -x refresh,github-urls foobar

because of some reasons of ’foobar’.  I do not see where it is dangerous
to also have the alternative to configure this exclusion at the package
level definition.

>                                                Those denigrading and
> demanding that Guix pressure partner projects to restrict the use of
> free software are unlikely to be content adding these flags to their
> private packages as may exist.

About pressure, I will not rehash here what had been said at length
elsewhere. :-)  Let me clarify about “restrict”.

For sure, I agree that by definition of free software, one cannot
restrict its usage.  The key point here seems between a right and an
obligation.  One has the right to modify and/or share but no obligation;
it’s still free software. :-)

Therefore, if one uses Guix to develop packages, it’s up to them to
decide how they want to share their developments on free software.
However, we have the right to use these developments how we want –
limited by what the license allows.

All in all, I do not see the danger. :-)

Cheers,
simon