Subject: bug#71690: 14.0.5; preview-latex clips bold text with inline equations

From: Matt Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2024 21:34:35 -0400

Hello,

I've noticed that, when previewing LaTeX documents with C-c C-p C-d,
inline equations inside \textbf{} are pushed to the front of the bold
section, while the bold text itself is cut off.

A minimal example is included below, along with my a dump of my Emacs &
AUCTeX version info. I hope this is enough to reproduce it.

Matt Mitchell

\documentclass[12pt]{article}

\title{Title}
\author{Author name}
\date{\today}

\begin{document}
\maketitle

This is paragraph 1.

Paragraph 2 has an equation: $a = b$.

Paragraph 3 has \textbf{some bold text. And another sentence of bold text.}

Paragraph 4 has a problem. When we \textbf{add bold text, and put
equations in the bold text, like $a$, the AUCTeX preview clips the
bold section.}. I don't know why this happens.

\end{document}

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 29.3 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.41, cairo version 1.18.0)
Package: 14.0.5

current state:
==============
(setq
 AUCTeX-version "14.0.5"
 LaTeX-command-style '((""
                        "%(PDF)%(latex) %(file-line-error)
%(extraopts) %(output-dir) %S%(PDFout)")
                       )
 image-types '(svg webp png gif tiff jpeg xpm xbm pbm)
 preview-image-type 'png
 preview-image-creators '((dvipng (open preview-gs-open
preview-dvipng-process-setup)
                           (place preview-gs-place) (close
preview-dvipng-close))
                          (png (open preview-gs-open) (place preview-gs-place)
                           (close preview-gs-close))
                          (jpeg (open preview-gs-open) (place preview-gs-place)
                           (close preview-gs-close))
                          (pnm (open preview-gs-open) (place preview-gs-place)
                           (close preview-gs-close))
                          (tiff (open preview-gs-open) (place preview-gs-place)
                           (close preview-gs-close))
                          )
 preview-dvipng-image-type 'png
 preview-dvipng-command "dvipng -picky -noghostscript %d -o %m/prev%%03d.png"
 preview-pdf2dsc-command "pdf2dsc %(O?pdf) %m/preview.dsc"
 preview-gs-command "/usr/bin/rungs"
 preview-gs-options '("-q" "-dDELAYSAFER" "-dNOPAUSE" "-DNOPLATFONTS"
"-dPrinted"
                      "-dTextAlphaBits=4" "-dGraphicsAlphaBits=4")
 preview-gs-image-type-alist '((png png "-sDEVICE=png16m")
                               (dvipng png "-sDEVICE=png16m")
                               (jpeg jpeg "-sDEVICE=jpeg") (pnm pbm
"-sDEVICE=pnmraw")
                               (tiff tiff "-sDEVICE=tiff12nc"))
 preview-fast-conversion t
 preview-prefer-TeX-bb nil
 preview-dvips-command "dvips -Pwww -i -E %d -o %m/preview.000"
 preview-fast-dvips-command "dvips -Pwww %d -o %m/preview.ps"
 preview-scale-function 'preview-scale-from-face
 preview-LaTeX-command '("%`%l \"\\nonstopmode\\nofiles\\PassOptionsToPackage{"
                         ("," . preview-required-option-list)

"}{preview}\\AtBeginDocument{\\ifx\\ifPreview\\undefined"
                         preview-default-preamble
                         "\\fi}\"%' \"\\detokenize{\" %(t-filename-only) \"}\"")
 preview-required-option-list '("active" "tightpage" "auctex"
                                (preview-preserve-counters "counters"))
 preview-preserve-counters nil
 preview-default-option-list '("displaymath" "floats" "graphics"
"textmath" "sections"
                               "footnotes")
 preview-default-preamble '("\\RequirePackage[" ("," .
preview-default-option-list)
                            "]{preview}[2004/11/05]")
 preview-LaTeX-command-replacements nil
 preview-dump-replacements '(preview-LaTeX-command-replacements
                             ("\\`\\([^ ]+\\)\\(?: +\\(?:\\(--?kanji[=
][^ ]+\\)\\|\\(--?output-directory[= ][^ ]+\\)\\|-\\(?:[^
\\\"]\\|\\\\.\\|\"[^\"]*\"\\)*\\)\\)*\\(.*\\)\\'" "\\1 -ini \\2 \\3
-interaction=nonstopmode \"&\\1\" " preview-format-name ".ini \\4")
                             )
 preview-undump-replacements '(("\\`\\([^ ]+\\)\\(?:
+\\(?:\\(--?kanji[= ][^ ]+\\)\\|\\(--?output-directory[= ][^
]+\\)\\|-\\(?:[^ \\\"]\\|\\\\.\\|\"[^\"]*\"\\)*\\)\\)*.* \"\\\\input\"
\"\\\\detokenize{\" \\(.*\\) \"}\"\\'" "\\1 \\2 \\3
-interaction=nonstopmode -file-line-error " preview-format-name "
\"/AUCTEXINPUT{\" \\4 \"}\"")
                               )
 preview-auto-cache-preamble 'ask
 preview-TeX-style-dir "/home/msm/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-14.0.5/latex"
 )

Output from running `/usr/bin/rungs -h':
GPL Ghostscript 10.03.1 (2024-05-02)
Copyright (C) 2024 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Usage: gs [switches] [file1.ps file2.ps ...]
Most frequently used switches: (you can use # in place of =)
 -dNOPAUSE           no pause after page   | -q       `quiet', fewer messages
 -g<width>x<height>  page size in pixels   | -r<res>  pixels/inch resolution
 -sDEVICE=<devname>  select device         | -dBATCH  exit after last file
 -sOutputFile=<file> select output file: - for stdout, |command for pipe,
                                         embed %d or %ld for page #
Input formats: PostScript PostScriptLevel1 PostScriptLevel2 PostScriptLevel3 PDF
Default output device: x11alpha
Available devices:
   alc1900 alc2000 alc4000 alc4100 alc8500 alc8600 alc9100 ap3250 appledmp
   appleraster atx23 atx24 atx38 bbox bit bitcmyk bitrgb bitrgbtags bj10e
   bj10v bj10vh bj200 bjc600 bjc800 bjc880j bjccmyk bjccolor bjcgray bjcmono
   bmp16 bmp16m bmp256 bmp32b bmpgray bmpmono bmpsep1 bmpsep8 ccr cdeskjet
   cdj1600 cdj500 cdj550 cdj670 cdj850 cdj880 cdj890 cdj970 cdjcolor cdjmono
   cdnj500 cfax chp2200 cif cljet5 cljet5c cljet5pr coslw2p coslwxl cups
   declj250 deskjet devicen dfaxhigh dfaxlow display dj505j djet500 djet500c
   dl2100 dnj650c docxwrite epl2050 epl2050p epl2120 epl2500 epl2750 epl5800
   epl5900 epl6100 epl6200 eplcolor eplmono eps2write eps9high eps9mid epson
   epsonc escp escpage faxg3 faxg32d faxg4 fmlbp fmpr fpng fs600 gdi hl1240
   hl1250 hl7x0 hpdj1120c hpdj310 hpdj320 hpdj340 hpdj400 hpdj500 hpdj500c
   hpdj510 hpdj520 hpdj540 hpdj550c hpdj560c hpdj600 hpdj660c hpdj670c
   hpdj680c hpdj690c hpdj850c hpdj855c hpdj870c hpdj890c hpdjplus
   hpdjportable ibmpro ijs imagen inferno ink_cov inkcov itk24i itk38 iwhi
   iwlo iwlq jetp3852 jj100 jpeg jpegcmyk jpeggray la50 la70 la75 la75plus
   laserjet lbp310 lbp320 lbp8 lex2050 lex3200 lex5700 lex7000 lips2p lips3
   lips4 lips4v lj250 lj3100sw lj4dith lj4dithp lj5gray lj5mono ljet2p ljet3
   ljet3d ljet4 ljet4d ljet4pjl ljetplus ln03 lp1800 lp1900 lp2000 lp2200
   lp2400 lp2500 lp2563 lp3000c lp7500 lp7700 lp7900 lp8000 lp8000c lp8100
   lp8200c lp8300c lp8300f lp8400f lp8500c lp8600 lp8600f lp8700 lp8800c
   lp8900 lp9000b lp9000c lp9100 lp9200b lp9200c lp9300 lp9400 lp9500c
   lp9600 lp9600s lp9800c lps4500 lps6500 lq850 lxm3200 lxm5700m m8510
   md1xMono md2k md50Eco md50Mono md5k mgr4 mgr8 mgrgray2 mgrgray4 mgrgray8
   mgrmono miff24 mj500c mj6000c mj700v2c mj8000c ml600 necp6 npdl nullpage
   oce9050 oki182 oki4w okiibm oprp opvp paintjet pam pamcmyk32 pamcmyk4 pbm
   pbmraw pcl3 pclm pclm8 pcx16 pcx24b pcx256 pcxcmyk pcxgray pcxmono
   pdfimage24 pdfimage32 pdfimage8 pdfwrite pdfwrite pdfwrite pgm pgmraw
   pgnm pgnmraw photoex picty180 pj pjetxl pjxl pjxl300 pkm pkmraw pksm
   pksmraw plan plan9bm planc plang plank planm plib plibc plibg plibk plibm
   png16 png16m png16malpha png256 png48 pngalpha pnggray pngmono pngmonod
   pnm pnmraw ppm ppmraw pr1000 pr1000_4 pr150 pr201 ps2write psdcmyk
   psdcmyk16 psdcmykog psdcmyktags psdcmyktags16 psdrgb psdrgb16 psdrgbtags
   pwgraster pxlcolor pxlmono r4081 rinkj rpdl samsunggdi sj48 spotcmyk
   st800 stcolor t4693d2 t4693d4 t4693d8 tek4696 tiff12nc tiff24nc tiff32nc
   tiff48nc tiff64nc tiffcrle tiffg3 tiffg32d tiffg4 tiffgray tifflzw
   tiffpack tiffscaled tiffscaled24 tiffscaled32 tiffscaled4 tiffscaled8
   tiffsep tiffsep1 txtwrite uniprint urf x11 x11alpha x11cmyk x11cmyk2
   x11cmyk4 x11cmyk8 x11gray2 x11gray4 x11mono x11rg16x x11rg32x xcf xes
   xpswrite
Search path:
   /usr/share/ghostscript/Resource/Init : /usr/share/ghostscript/lib :
   /usr/share/ghostscript/Resource/Font : /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts :
   /usr/share/fonts/gsfonts
Ghostscript is also using fontconfig to search for font files
For more information, see
https://ghostscript.readthedocs.io/en/gs10.03.1/Use.html
Please report bugs to bugs.ghostscript.com.