Subject: [bug#71672] [PATCH] python: Prefer python3 over python

From: Karl Berry <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 15:17:58 -0600

zw> Add these three macros to Autoconf proper:
    ...
    Automake's python.m4 should also define these if they are not
    already defined. Then, we split AM_PATH_PYTHON ...

Thanks Zack. It all sounds good to me.

    definitely do this early rather than late in an automake release
    cycle, and seek out feedback from existing users of AM_PATH_PYTHON.
    What say you?

I say +1 :).

    cf> I like this idea and am happy to help after the upcoming release.

Thanks Collin.

    Maybe something like:
        AM_PYTHON_SETUP([PYTHON-EXECUTABLE])

Sounds fine to me, at first blush.

My thought would be to add this stuff asap after the 1.17 release and
put out a 1.16.0.90 pretest purely for the purpose of "seeking
feedback", as you say, so users can give it a try without having other
unrelated changes. (I hope four-part version numbers don't cause problems.)

(Maybe along with Bruno's timestamp-fixing patch, again for feedback
purposes.)

So ... if either of you have time to work on implementing this, so it
can be pushed when ready, that would be great.

(Although in theory several branches are maintained in the automake repo
for purposes like this, in practice nothing but master has been used for
X years, and I myself have no time or interest in resurrecting others.)

Thanks! -k