Subject: [bug#71672] [PATCH] python: Prefer python3 over python

From: Collin Funk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2024 18:57:28 -0700

Hi Karl,

Karl Berry wrote:
> Yes ... but I feel strongly that we should try very hard not to break
> existing configure setups.

Reasonable goal.

> It occurs to me that we could allow maintainers to specify p3-searching
> options in their configure.ac, like
> 
> AM_PYTHON_OPTS(python3-check-first python-check-omit)
> 
> (Or additional args to AM_PATH_PYTHON, whatever.)
> 
> That wouldn't have any compatibility issues, and would allow maintainers
> to control what gets looked for, for packages that need to force python3.
> (Other options could force looking for p2 first.)
> 
> Would that make sense?

Yes, I think that idea would work. Or maybe AM_PYTHON3_PATH which
requires Python3 so that the interface of the original macro isn't
changed.

Do you have any ideas/opinions Zach? I don't ever use Python 2 so
maybe my ideas for the interface are poor.

Collin