Subject: bug#71669: closed (Re: bug#71669: 30.0.50; macOS: `emacs --geometry` flag broken, only `-geometry` works)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2024 18:11:02 +0000

Your bug report

#71669: 30.0.50; macOS: `emacs --geometry` flag broken, only `-geometry` works

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
71669: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=71669
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#71669: 30.0.50; macOS: `emacs --geometry` flag broken, only `-geometry` works
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2024 18:09:00 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Not necessarily.  My reading of the VC history is that before commit
> d7d8c62a57e7, which unified the NS handling of command-line arguments
> with the rest of GUI platforms, there was no support for -g (in any of
> its forms, including -geometry and --geometry) on macOS.  So it could
> be that the fact we now support -g and -geometry is a bug.

In d7d8c62a57e7 it was actually still commented out.  Proper support was
only added 4 years later, in commit e543ae917.

The fact that "--geometry" wasn't commented out at the time looks like
it was just an oversight.

> If you add --geometry to command-line-ns-option-alist, does it work as
> expected, with all formats of -geometry that are supposed to be
> supported?  If yes, we could enable that on macOS and see if anything
> breaks or someone complains.  But maybe if you try this, you will find
> the reason why this switch is not fully supported on NS.

It works fine, so I pushed a patch to master.  Closing this now, thanks.

Subject: 30.0.50; macOS: `emacs --geometry` flag broken, only `-geometry` works
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2024 00:51:57 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On macOS, this has no effect on the size of the initial frame:

     emacs -Q --geometry 10x10

This works as expected though:

    emacs -Q -g 10x10
    emacs -Q -geometry 10x10

On GNU/Linux, all flags work as expected.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin23.5.0, NS
 appkit-2487.60 Version 14.5 (Build 23F79)) of 2024-06-10 built on
 foo.local
Repository revision: 33fc77e1b64dab2ed33757d8dae94e87e9e0fc0b
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2487
System Description:  macOS 14.5

Configured using:
 'configure --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 --enable-check-lisp-object-type'