Subject: bug#71666: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Fix zooming images with SHR

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2024 20:31:31 -0700

On 6/28/2024 8:08 PM, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> Jim Porter <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Assuming there are no comments/concerns, I'll merge this to the master
>> branch in the next few days.
> 
> This is a regression, right?  So should it not go to emacs-30?

The initial bug report is fixed on emacs-30, but then based on Eli's 
message (and some further examination of the code on my part), I found 
some more closely-related issues.

One of these issues (#3 - the "full" zoom level didn't zoom to the full 
window height) is a regression, but it regressed over a decade ago as 
far as I can tell, so I'd lean towards keeping the current behavior on 
emacs-30. That way, if I misunderstood what the regression was, we have 
plenty of time in the 31 release cycle to address that. (After 
searching, I now see that this particular regression was filed 
previously as bug#63344.)

The other changes aren't so much regressions as they are long-standing 
bugs or limitations of the image-zooming code.

Of course, if you and Eli prefer that I merge some or all of these 
patches to the release branch, I don't mind. But they seemed a bit risky 
to me.