Subject: Re: bug#71666: 30.0.50; [PATCH] Fix zooming images with SHR

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2024 13:21:53 -0700

On 6/22/2024 2:11 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I tried the recipe and the patch.  While the patches shr behaves
> better than the unpatched, I don't see the image being zoomed, it
> stays at its original size.  Do I need some optional library or
> external program for the zoom to happen?

Ah right, that would have been helpful for me to mention in the original 
message: by default, SHR scales down images that are more than 70% of 
the width (or height) of the window. So if you narrow your window to 40 
columns or so and reload the page in EWW, the larger images should be 
scaled down. Then putting point on one and pressing "z" should scale it 
up to the original size. Pressing "z" again should scale the image back 
down.

As an aside, there are actually *three* states for image scaling in SHR: 
default, original, and full, and 'shr-zoom-image' cycles through them in 
that order. As far as I can tell from the code, "default" and "full" are 
the same though. I haven't figured out whether that's a bug (and if so, 
what the bug is), or whether I'm just misunderstanding something. I'll 
try to fix that later (if only by adding documentation), once I know 
what's going on.