Subject: bug#71648: 30.0.50; Allow which-key to report on translation bindings

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2024 17:16:01 +0200

>>>>> On Wed, 19 Jun 2024 11:09:36 -0400, Justin Burkett <[email-masked]> said:

    Justin> The purpose of which-key was to show the commands that are available
    Justin> following an incomplete key sequence. If I understand correctly, these
    Justin> maps don't hold commands and anyway would be processed before
    Justin> which-key "sees" the current incomplete key sequence.

They donʼt hold commands in the sense of defuns, but instead they
produce characters, which to Emacs is pretty much the same thing, and
looking up keys in them inside which-keys produces the same type of
display.

    Justin> If I understand correctly, if "C-d x" translates to "C-c x" then
    Justin> which-key I believe would see the sequence "C-c x" and find the
    Justin> bindings following that sequence. I'm not sure how or why we would
    Justin> want to display the information that "C-d x" translates to "C-c x".

These maps donʼt translate sequences to sequences, they translate
sequences to characters:

'C-x 8 * E' -> €
'C-x 8 * L' -> £
etc

so with my patch, typing 'C-x 8 *' show the entries for 'E' and 'L'
(and more besides)

Robert
--