Subject: Re: bug#71646: 29.3; pixel-scroll-precision-mode overrides paging behaviour even when pixel-scroll-precision-interpolate-page is off

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2024 19:52:19 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2024 02:48:57 -0700
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> > Ping! Should I close this?
>> 
>> Shouldn't we rather fix the bug described by Mike?  I.e. this:
>> 
>> > Setting `pixel-scroll-precision-interpolate-page’ is supposed to
>> > turn off the paging animation (which it does) however even when it’s
>> > off, <prior> and <next> invoke `cua-scroll-up’ & `cua-scroll-down’
>> > rather than allowing another keymap to handle it.
>
> I don't mind to fixing this, if possible, but (a) I don't think I
> understand what is being suggested by the text you quote above, and
> (b) given Po Lu's response, it doesn't seem like the proposed changes
> will be accepted, or did I miss something?

My problem is that two years ago I stated quite clearly why it was
inappropriate to engineer paging interpolation into p-s-p-m (in a
Telegram group), to the deaf ears of the mob requesting it, but since it
is only now that we have received a lone complaint, it's safe to
conclude that most users are satisfied with its established behavior,
which should at least give us pause before any decision to tamper with
it some more, and which behavior, mind you, had already been revised
once in response to user feedback before 29.1.  The optimal solution is
simply not to bind p-s-p-i-p in pixel-scroll-precision-mode, but users
disagreed then, and now it's far too late to tamper with these bindings.