Subject: [bug#71640] yt-dlp: Update to 2024-05-27

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2024 20:27:00 -0400

Hi Leo,

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, Jun 23, 2024 at 09:58:13PM -0400, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
>> > +                  python-requests-next ; TODO Remove this special package
>> > +                  python-urllib3-next  ; TODO Remove this one too
>> 
>> That's OK only because that's an application and these inputs are not
>> propagated.  I'm a bit worried the '-next' variants may be used by
>> packagers elsewhere, but I guess this means we should give the
>> python-team branch a spin.
>
> I could make the packages hidden. Is there a better approach?

Not really, as the problem with Python is that everything gets
propagated and you can't mix incompatible libraries together. I guess
that's something to keep in mind when reviewing Python packages.  It's
OK to use any version for *applications*, but it's not OK for libraries,
as these are expected to be compatible with the larger Python package
collection of Guix.

>> Also, I see you haven't used inheritance anywhere; I guess that's to
>> make the transition to the latest package as painful as possible
>> (simply deleting the old definitions).
>
> For me, using inheritance is painful, and this is relatively painless.

I meant painless above.  I disagree that inheritance is generally
painful, although it brings some complications (such as 'guix refresh'
not taking inheritance dependencies into account).

Anyway, LGTM :-).

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim