Subject: [bug#71639] [PATCH WIP 0/5] Improve on restic-backup-service

From: paul <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2024 11:57:12 +0100

Hi Richard and Fabio,

With Shepherd 1.0 we got new shiny timers and I just sent a patch [0] to 
migrate the restic-backup-service type to Shepherd timers. It shouldn't 
break any existing backup (provided a reboot is done after 
configuration) AFAIU. If you don't have objections, I would update the 
plan this way:

1. Implement as a Shepherd timer, with issue#75045

2. Improve the restic backup system service . This can be done in the
current issue #71639:

services: backup: Add password-command support to restic-service
services: backup: Add extra-packages field to restic-backup-job
services: backup: Move restic package to restic-configuration

3. Refactor the restic-guix function to allow for more restic commands
to be wrapped. This can be done in issue #72803:

services: restic-backup: Add more restic commands to the restic-guix
package.

4. Allow for repositories to be initialized with a restic-guix init
command. This commit could be adapted and moved to a new branch based on
#72803:

services: backup: Support bootstrapping an initial restic backup

What do you think?

cheers,

giacomo

[0]: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/75045