Subject: Re: [PATCH WIP 0/5] Improve on restic-backup-service

From: Fabio Natali <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2024 17:43:03 +0100

> I apologize for blocking this issue with my proposal. I think Fabio's
> proposal of splitting the changes in this patch is the best way
> forward, if you agree as well Richard. I submitted [0] to refactor the
> restic-guix procedure in a way that it can support many different
> commands.

Hi Giacomo,

Thanks for this!

> 1. Improve the restic backup system service [...]

> 2. Refactor the restic-guix function [...]

> 3. Allow for repositories to be initialized with a restic-guix init [...]

I think this is a perfectly sensible plan. For what it's worth, I've
provided some little feedback around point 2 as part of #72803.

As a further point, I also think we should manage to update Restic
itself to 0.17.0 (while we're still at 0.9.6 which was released in Nov
2019). With such an out-of-date package, the service also risks to loose
a little bit of its value.

I've just sent a quick follow-up to #63019 in the hope that we might be
able to get this sorted soon.

Thanks, cheers, Fabio.