Subject: Re: bug#71606: Info manuals don't appear in default profile despite correct(?) environment variables

From: Carlo Zancanaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2024 10:20:28 +1000

Hi Oliver,

On Mon, Jun 17 2024, Olivier Rojon wrote:
> [...] the path of my current profile which is the canonical
> `.config/guix/current/share/info`. [...]

I don't know if it's the source of your problems, but that's the
location of the profile for Guix itself, not for your user packages.

That is: when you `guix pull` it builds a new Guix profile containing
Guix itself, and installs a symlink in ~/.config/guix/current which
points to that profile.

When you run `guix install recutils` it installs to a different profile
which you can find at ~/.guix-profile (as a symlink).

When you use Guix Home, which I assume you aren't using, but I'm
mentioning just in case, the profile is at ~/.guix-home/profile (again
as a symlink).

In my config, I add all three of these to INFOPATH and things seem to
work properly. I think this may happen if you source the etc/profile
file in each of those profiles, but my config explicitly sets INFOPATH
as well, for some reason.

I've attached the code that I source in ~/.profile on my machines to set
up Guix. I believe some of this is now included in the system-wide
script the installer installs to /etc/profile.d/zzz-guix.sh, but my
config predates that and I haven't been bothered to change it.

Carlo