Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/3] gnu: emacs-org: Update to 9.7.4.

From: Suhail Singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2024 20:04:21 -0400

Adam Porter <[email-masked]> writes:

> IOW, for some projects, the lints and/or tests are always going to fail
> on some combination of Emacs/Org versions, even though the project in
> question may actually work on it.

That's understandable.  When I encounter such situations, I find it
helpful to separate tests where "failure is intolerable" from others
where "failure, while not ideal, is acceptable".  You may find it
helpful to make such a distinction as well.

> That would be issue #207, and it appears to be one of those things
> that changes across Org versions, making it hard or impossible to fix
> in a way that comprehensively passes testing (especially since I've no
> control over the versions of Emacs and Org used in Guix).  It's also a
> minor bug, essentially a cosmetic issue, which has made it a low
> priority to work on with my limited time, which I'm sure you can
> appreciate.

It seems that #207 isn't one that will be fixed in the near future and
that that's acceptable (for users of org-super-agenda).  It's unclear
whether the failure in test `org-super-agenda-test--auto-parent' also
corresponds to the same bug, or a distinct issue.  Regardless, if one or
more of the failing tests are acceptable failures, it would help Guix
packagers if upstream was updated to provide a command/invocation that
does not fail when such category of tests don't succeed.  It would
obviate having to ignore such failing tests in Guix and reduce the
maintenance burden of downstream packagers.

-- 
Suhail