Subject: Re: [bug#71581] [PATCH 11/11] gnu: Remove node-bootstrap.

From: Jelle Licht <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2024 10:06:04 +0200

Hi Ashvith,

Thank you for working on Node.js related things in guix.

My apologies for not looking into your set of contributions earlier, I
have an longer train ride coming up where I can set aside some time for
proper reviews.

Ashvith Shetty <[email-masked]> writes:

> * gnu/packages/node.scm (node-bootstrap): Delete variable.

It seems there has been a misunderstanding (not on your side!) about the
construction of the llhttp package.

It is a bunch of javascript that generates code in C, which can
subsequently be compiled by any C compiler. This means that the llhttp
package that is currently included in guix does not meet our packaging
criteria, and should be patched and/or removed. I'll send a bug report
for this separate issue later.

(IMHO this will boil down to it being built like llhttp-bootstrap, but
perhaps using the node package instead of the node-lts package. Either
way, the node-bootstrap and llhttp-bootstrap packages would still be
needed)

Provided I didn't misread the situation, this makes your patches require
rework; perhaps we could discuss a way forward that respects your time
as much as possible. It might make sense to jump up to the latest
Node.js LTS version (20.x.y) instead of the 18 series. I even think we
could patch more modern llhttp versions so that we could still build
them with Node.js 14 (node-bootstrap), in which case we could move
towards the Node.js 22 series.

Kind regards,
Jelle