Subject: bug#71578: 29.3; ERC 5.5.0.29.1: No documented support for setting server and nickserv authentication per-server

From: Richard Sent <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2024 16:27:11 -0400

Hi all,

When using ERC, various servers have different policies for nickserv
identification and server authentication. For example, irc.libera.chat
forwards the server password to nickserv, while irc.pine64.org ignores
server password and nickserv is authenticated separately.

By default, erc uses auth-source for server authetication
(erc-auth-source-server-function), and can optionally use auth-source
for nickserv identification (erc-use-auth-source-for-nickserv-password).
These settings are global and affect every server.

This causes problems where credentials may be needlessly
double-decrypted using auth-source. This is particularly annoying when
auth-sources needs to decrypt data and requires manual intervention
(such as touching a yubikey).

This occurs because the auth-source specification for server
authentication and nickserv authentication do not necessarily match so
the cached result is not returned. (For example, libera.chat has
iridium.libera.chat, mercury.libera.chat, etc. which are passed in the
spec for nickserv authentication, while irc.libera.chat is passed for
server authentication.)

Ideally ERC should have a documented method for disabling server
authentication and nickserv authentication on a per-server basis. As a
workaround I found the following methods currently work:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
;; Note that these must be "", not nil

;; Pass :password "" to disable server authentication
(erc-tls :server "irc.pine64.org"  :nick "freakingpenguin" :password "")

;; Set nickserv password to "" to disable nickserv authentication
(setq erc-nickserv-passwords '((Libera.Chat (("freakingpenguin" . "")))))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

As far as I'm aware this isn't documented anywhere officially so there's
no guarantee it will continue to work in the future.

This is intended as a tracking ticket following discussion on #erc.

In GNU Emacs 29.3 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.41,
cairo version 1.18.0)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101012
System Description: Guix System

Configured using:
 'configure
 CONFIG_SHELL=/gnu/store/rib9g2ig1xf3kclyl076w28parmncg4k-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/bash
 SHELL=/gnu/store/rib9g2ig1xf3kclyl076w28parmncg4k-bash-minimal-5.1.16/bin/bash
 --prefix=/gnu/store/alh6ljiqdyfmgdb9jia5pbga60ihi8r8-emacs-29.3
 --enable-fast-install --with-cairo --with-modules
 --with-native-compilation=aot --disable-build-details'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM
GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $EMACSLOADPATH: /home/richard/.guix-home/profile/share/emacs/site-lisp:/gnu/store/alh6ljiqdyfmgdb9jia5pbga60ihi8r8-emacs-29.3/share/emacs/29.3/lisp
  value of $EMACSNATIVELOADPATH: /home/richard/.guix-home/profile/lib/emacs/native-site-lisp
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Eshell

Minor modes in effect:
  eshell-syntax-highlighting-global-mode: t
  eshell-syntax-highlighting-mode: t
  eshell-prompt-mode: t
  eshell-hist-mode: t
  eshell-pred-mode: t
  eshell-cmpl-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  beacon-mode: t
  all-the-icons-completion-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  eshell-proc-mode: t
  eshell-arg-mode: t
  eat-eshell-mode: t
  eat--eshell-local-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/gnu/store/v8r6az9568lv4p8srgamrmsm92krn130-emacs-transient-0.6.0/share/emacs/site-lisp/transient-0.6.0/transient hides /gnu/store/alh6ljiqdyfmgdb9jia5pbga60ihi8r8-emacs-29.3/share/emacs/29.3/lisp/transient
/gnu/store/ilfyjbpfsc1lbqwyllx0kzqg9h31zic3-emacs-project-0.10.0/share/emacs/site-lisp/project-0.10.0/project hides /gnu/store/alh6ljiqdyfmgdb9jia5pbga60ihi8r8-emacs-29.3/share/emacs/29.3/lisp/progmodes/project
/gnu/store/w89y5r65d5d0gfp1pv522ylyfmhh0iv2-emacs-xref-1.6.3/share/emacs/site-lisp/xref-1.6.3/xref hides /gnu/store/alh6ljiqdyfmgdb9jia5pbga60ihi8r8-emacs-29.3/share/emacs/29.3/lisp/progmodes/xref
/gnu/store/y42sbhcwppj5wzfd2cn4kwjpni301psh-emacs-soap-client-3.2.3/share/emacs/site-lisp/soap-client-3.2.3/soap-client hides /gnu/store/alh6ljiqdyfmgdb9jia5pbga60ihi8r8-emacs-29.3/share/emacs/29.3/lisp/net/soap-client
/gnu/store/y42sbhcwppj5wzfd2cn4kwjpni301psh-emacs-soap-client-3.2.3/share/emacs/site-lisp/soap-client-3.2.3/soap-inspect hides /gnu/store/alh6ljiqdyfmgdb9jia5pbga60ihi8r8-emacs-29.3/share/emacs/29.3/lisp/net/soap-inspect

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug two-column eshell-syntax-highlighting
em-unix em-term em-script em-prompt em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob
em-extpipe em-cmpl em-dirs em-basic em-banner em-alias eshell ace-window
sh-script smie treesit executable goto-addr git-rebase vc-hg vc-bzr
vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs log-view bug-reference vc-git avy
embark-consult consult magit-bookmark bookmark misearch multi-isearch
cl-print erc-ibuffer erc-log erc-notify erc-page erc-sound erc-speedbar
speedbar ezimage dframe erc-xdcc erc-dcc mule-util embark-org embark
ffap network-stream epa-file erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring
erc-pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp
erc-netsplit erc-services erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-networks
erc-common erc-compat erc-loaddefs diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-iso
oc-basic ol-eww eww url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info
ol-gnus nnselect gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime gnutls
dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg dom gnus-group
gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap utf7 nnoo parse-time
gnus-spec gnus-win ol-docview doc-view jka-compr image-mode exif
ol-bibtex bibtex iso8601 ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi face-remap
org-agenda org-element org-persist xdg org-id avl-tree org-refile
smartparens-org ob-plantuml org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
ob-exp org-macro org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-footnote
org-faces org-entities ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle org-table
org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs ol
org-fold org-fold-core org-compat org-version org-macs
smartparens-config smartparens-text smartparens rainbow-delimiters
hl-line rs-utils rs-ui beacon all-the-icons-completion all-the-icons
all-the-icons-faces data-material data-weathericons data-octicons
data-fileicons data-faicons data-alltheicons which-key diminish
doom-dracula-theme doom-themes doom-themes-base moody time rs-tools
ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init
ediff-util daemons calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs rs-smtp smtpmail
rs-skeleton rs-navigation marginalia orderless savehist vertico rs-media
rs-magit magit-extras magit-submodule magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit package url-handlers magit-repos magit-apply
magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode diff
diff-mode git-commit log-edit pcvs-util add-log magit-core
magit-autorevert magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor
magit-mode magit-git magit-base magit-section cursor-sensor crm
rs-integrations debbugs soap-client url-http url-auth url-gw nsm rng-xsd
rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp rs-ibuffer rs-guix rs-project rs-eshell
esh-var esh-mode esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg
esh-module esh-groups esh-util eat term disp-table ehelp shell pcomplete
color rs-erc rs-epg rs-elfeed rs-editing rg files-x vc vc-dispatcher
rg-info-hack advice rg-menu rg-ibuffer rg-result wgrep-rg rg-history
rg-header ibuf-ext ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs cus-edit wgrep grep rs-dired
ls-lisp dired-x rs-core server autorevert filenotify delsel comp
comp-cstr warnings rx exec-path-from-shell rs-constants battery dbus
rs-auth-source auth-source-pass rs-scheme skeleton geiser-guile
info-look info transient format-spec geiser geiser-debug geiser-repl
geiser-image geiser-capf geiser-doc geiser-menu geiser-autodoc
geiser-edit geiser-completion geiser-eval geiser-connection tq
geiser-syntax scheme geiser-impl help-fns radix-tree geiser-log
geiser-popup view geiser-custom geiser-base rs-rust rs-password-store
rs-org plantuml-mode xml dash edmacro kmacro use-package-bind-key
bind-key rs-docker rs-csharp rs-cl slime easy-mmode apropos compile
etags fileloop generator xref project arc-mode archive-mode noutline
outline icons pp comint ansi-osc ansi-color ring hyperspec thingatpt
browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source
eieio eieio-core json map byte-opt url-vars rs-nnrss rs-gnus nnmail
gnus-int mail-source gnus-range message sendmail mailcap yank-media puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus nnheader
gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mail-utils range mm-util
mail-prsvr wid-edit cus-load no-littering compat cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode cl-seq use-package-core cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp
byte-compile lorem-ipsum-autoloads geiser-autoloads
geiser-guile-autoloads xterm-color-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads
xref-autoloads project-autoloads spinner-autoloads hydra-autoloads
ht-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads flycheck-autoloads rustic-autoloads
password-store-autoloads pass-autoloads plantuml-mode-autoloads
yaml-mode-autoloads docker-compose-mode-autoloads
dockerfile-mode-autoloads web-mode-autoloads macrostep-autoloads
slime-autoloads which-key-autoloads moody-autoloads
doom-themes-autoloads shrink-path-autoloads nerd-icons-autoloads
doom-modeline-autoloads diminish-autoloads beacon-autoloads
all-the-icons-completion-autoloads memoize-autoloads
all-the-icons-autoloads daemons-autoloads embark-autoloads
consult-autoloads marginalia-autoloads orderless-autoloads
vertico-autoloads popup-autoloads f-autoloads dumb-jump-autoloads
avy-autoloads ace-window-autoloads tablist-autoloads pdf-tools-autoloads
async-autoloads transient-autoloads magit-autoloads
soap-client-autoloads debbugs-autoloads
eshell-syntax-highlighting-autoloads eat-autoloads elfeed-autoloads
s-autoloads rg-autoloads wgrep-autoloads rainbow-delimiters-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads dash-autoloads smartparens-autoloads
dirvish-autoloads exec-path-from-shell-autoloads compat-autoloads
no-littering-autoloads guix-emacs rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 736637 84922)
 (symbols 48 48885 5)
 (strings 32 196059 11083)
 (string-bytes 1 6207371)
 (vectors 16 102534)
 (vector-slots 8 1693609 88877)
 (floats 8 1468 1512)
 (intervals 56 7256 3449)
 (buffers 984 41))

-- 
Take it easy,
Richard Sent
Making my computer weirder one commit at a time.