Subject: bug#71556: GNOME Konsol crashes

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2024 10:21:38 +0200

I saw the problem a couple of more times, but I have switched away from kgx (which I think is called Konsol not Console?) to the old Terminal app and haven’t had any issues since.  I’m okay closing this bug report unless there is some more information from anyone else who have time to debug the kgx/Mesa issue further.

/Simon

> 22 okt. 2024 kl. 08:56 skrev Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>:
> 
> Hi Simon,
> 
> Simon Josefsson <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> writes:
> 
>>> 21 juni 2024 kl. 06:32 skrev Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>:
>>> 
>>> Am Freitag, dem 14.06.2024 um 18:34 +0200 schrieb Simon Josefsson:
>>>> Hi.
>>>> 
>>>> GNOME Konsol has crashed for me, bringing down all 10+ windows I had
>>>> open (and plenty of ongoing work halted...).  I've now seen this
>>>> twice, so I suppose it counts as reproducible, even though I don't
>>>> know how to trigger it.  I recall that it happened when I used the
>>>> mouse to maybe resize windows or switch workspace somehow.
>>>> 
>>>> This is guix v1.3.0-60008-g7e00fb9f31 with a fairly normal system
>>>> configuration [1] on a fairly ordinary amd64 desktop (MSI Z790P).
>>>> Syslog has these two crashes:
>>> … and a fairly normal GPU?
>> 
>> Built-in UHD 770 in the Intel 14900K CPU (no overclocking). I am using Dasharo system firmware if that makes a difference.
>> 
>> I’ve used this system extensively and think some recent update may have introduced it as I started seeing it only recently. Hard to tell though since it only happened after 4+ hours of interactive work each time.
>> 
>>> The crash indicates some driver issue, probably in Mesa.  Since GNOME
>>> is increasingly hardware accelerated, you tend to notice them in a lot
>>> of places.  You can twiddle the GSK_RENDERER environment variable to
>>> something less buggy, potentially at the cost of performance.
>>> Particularly the cairo one ought to do slow, but correct CPU rendering.
>> 
>> Ah this makes sense. I will try and see if I notice it again. It hasn’t happened for any other application.
> 
> Are you still having problems with GNOME Console (you do mean 'Console',
> the default console application in GNOME (the one whose executable is
> 'kgx') ?)
> 
> -- 
> Thanks,
> Maxim