Subject: Re: bug#71554: 29.3; eshell-command async buffer behavior

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2024 06:23:10 +0000

Jim Porter <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 6/20/2024 12:30 AM, Thierry Volpiatto wrote:
>> This patch doesn't work if user kill for some reason the initial process
>> buffer, we have to check if other buffers are alive.  Also having a new
>> variable eshell-command-async-buffer instead of reusing
>> async-shell-command-buffer is better IMO.
>> Here a patch that fix these issues.
>
> I haven't tried it yet, but this patch makes sense to me, with the
> tiny exception that I think defaulting to 'confirm-new-buffer' would
> be better for consistency. (It's not my preferred setting, but I think
> we should stay the same as Comint unless we have a good reason for why
> that value has some problems unique to Eshell.)

Of course, I just forget setting the default back to
'confirm-new-buffer' in the patch.

> Eli, what do you think about merging this into the Emacs 30 branch? I
> have no strong preference myself, but I think it's small enough that
> it should be safe, and it fixes an annoyance with Eshell today. (I can
> also write a regression test or two if that would help matters.)

-- 
Thierry