Subject: bug#7155: [md5sum] does not accept

From: Rimas Kudelis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 22:24:31 +0300

Hi,

I have a little problem with md5sum.

A FreeBSD box generates an md5 sum of a file, which I'm later trying to
check on a Linux box. The problem is that what FreeBSD's md5 outputs is
slightly different from what Linux's md5sum expects, which makes md5sum
complain. The difference is really trivial: md5 outputs one space
between the sum and the file name, and md5sum outputs/expects two:

rq@garage:~/Pootle/tmp$ md5sum -c  catkeys.zip
md5sum: catkeys.zip: no properly formatted MD5 checksum lines found

rq@garage:~/Pootle/tmp$ md5sum -c  catkeys.zip.md5
md5sum: catkeys.zip.md5: no properly formatted MD5 checksum lines found

rq@garage:~/Pootle/tmp$ md5sum catkeys.zip
f653761af3137c8a631284b390bae102  catkeys.zip

rq@garage:~/Pootle/tmp$ cat catkeys.zip.md5
f653761af3137c8a631284b390bae102 catkeys.zip

I don't know which format is the "right" one, but could md5sum perhaps
be fixed to support md5's checksum files too?

Thanks!
Rimas Kudelis