Subject: bug#71522: 29.2.50; Allow associating module symbols with defining files

From: Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2024 11:12:30 -0400

It's currently impossible to associate a symbol defined by a module with
the source file which actually defined that symbol.

1. Make any native module whatsoever, defining any Lisp symbols at all
2. emacs -Q -l ./your-native-module.so
3. (symbol-file your-native-module-symbol) yields "your-native-module.so"
4. If it's a function:
   C-h f your-native-module-symbol RET
5. Observe that it says "your-native-module.so" defines this function,
   and that jumping to the source via the link or "s" drops you in
   your-native-module.so.

It should instead be possible for a module to express which files
defines a symbol, so that it's possible to jump to the source for that
symbol, if it's around.

In GNU Emacs 29.2.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo
 version 1.15.12, Xaw scroll bars) of 2024-06-01 built on
 igm-qws-u22796a
Repository revision: fcef787a846f0c51f7443dfab6af6e18b476b166
Repository branch: emacs-29
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Rocky Linux 8.9 (Green Obsidian)