Subject: bug#71504: 30.0.50; FR: Fix suggestions ("quick fix") for Flymake diagnostics

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2024 18:44:28 +0100

On Wed, Jul 24, 2024 at 5:40 PM Spencer Baugh <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I don't want to be obstructionist, but it seems to me that if we land
> this in flymake, eventually it will just *have* to be supported in
> Eglot.

Not aware that Eglot is under such obligation.  It generally wants
to use Emacs facilities that do useful work, but only if those things
are simpler than existing battle-tested things.  This is not one of
those.

The patch Eshel was proposing adds a re-representation of
code actions to Flymake, something completely outside its
responsibilities (as I designed and maintained for a number of
years at least).

Flymake's current API is fine for Eglot's code-action purposes.
A refactor.el API would be even better.

> I don't want to abuse that as a way to work around what Joao
> prefers.

I suggested an alternative idea to put in the refactor.el library.  No idea
why that's not being considered : ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2024-05/msg01163.html

Then for sure Eglot would migrate, as I'm always looking for less
code to maintain, not more.