Subject: Re: bug#71504: 30.0.50; FR: Fix suggestions ("quick fix") for Flymake diagnostics

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2024 13:28:10 +0300

> From: Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2024 11:49:45 +0200
> 
> > If this is okay with Spencer, I think this should go to the master
> > branch, with the following two nits fixed:
> >
> >   . the doc string of flymake-make-diagnostic should explicitly tell
> >     that :fix-function is for backends to be set to the appropriate
> >     fixup function
> >   . this is documented in flymake.texi
> 
> Thanks, will do.  Note that to apply a fix suggestion, this patch uses
> function refactor-apply-edits from my library refactor.el.  This is the
> "general purpose function for applying code changes" I mentioned in a
> previous message in this thread.  So to land this on master we need to
> also add (at least a part of) refactor.el.  I'm happy to contribute the
> library wholesale, FWIW.
> 
> You can find the latest version of refactor.el here:
> 
> https://git.sr.ht/~eshel/emacs/blob/main/lisp/progmodes/refactor.el

Couldn't refactor-apply-edits be replaced with something that doesn't
depend on the rest of the library?  I'd prefer not to delay the fixit
support in Eglot until we decide whether or not to add refactor.el.
Adding refactor.el could then be a separate discussion (and I do think
having refactoring capabilities in Emacs is long overdue).

Thanks.