Subject: Re: bug#71489: Two libtool issues

From: Ileana Dumitrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2024 20:51:48 +0300

Hi Sam,

On 09/08/2024 20:41, Sam James wrote:
> Ileana Dumitrescu <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Hi Sergey,
>>
>> On 11/06/2024 14:20, Sergey Poznyakoff wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> Some time ago I discovered two libool issues related to the library
>>> preference, which caused lots of problems in GNU mailutils.  The issues
>>> are described in detail in the following article:
>>>     https://gray.gnu.org.ua/public/ltbug
>>> (Sorry if it is too long: I tried to provide as much detail as
>>> possible,
>>> along with examples and proposed patches).
>>>     I reported that to the bug-libtool list on 2019-12-14. Back then
>>> I got a
>>> reply which seemed to stem from misreading rather than from an attempt to
>>> understand the problem. So I ended up distributing a patched ltmain.sh
>>> with GNU mailutils.
>>> Is there any chance these issues can be addressed in libtool?
>>
>> Thank you for your bug report and all of the detail that you provided. I
>> have replicated your errors and created a test file based off of your
>> testcases. It has been applied to libtool's development branch [1]. If
>> you would verify the patch and test file are applied properly for this
>> issue, I will close the bug.
> 
> The writeup is genuinely excellent - still digesting it.
> 
> It looks to me like
> https://gray.gnu.org.ua/public/ltbug/0001-ltmain.in-append-rpath-option-arguments-to-finalize_.patch
> did get applied but merged into one patch so the commit message from the
> 1st one got lost. Not sure if that's worth changing.

I applied the cumulative patch that was provided, since the issues were
related. I am not opposed to reverting the commit and message that I
applied to separate each change though.

>> Also, thank you for reporting these issues again. I am sorry it was not
>> looked into sooner.
>>
>> [1]
>> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libtool.git/commit/?h=development&id=998a3347622014a0ecb58bdf57388b3f545e5934

-- 
Ileana Dumitrescu

GPG Public Key: FA26 CA78 4BE1 8892 7F22 B99F 6570 EA01 146F 7354