Subject: Re: bug#71472: [PATCH] Add pty support by using ConPTY on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2024 18:40:48 +0300

> From: Ke Wu <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2024 18:26:46 +0800
> 
> This patch adds pty support by using ConPTY on Windows. The conhost.exe
> runs in pty mode and provides pty interface. The package term is also
> patched to make it usable on Windows.

Thanks.  It's a pity you didn't discuss this before working on the
code, because ConPTY is not very useful on MS-Windows due to the
limitations of its encoding.  See this issue I opened 3 years ago, and
which they meanwhile closed (I guess they don't plan on fixing this
anytime soon).  See

  https://github.com/microsoft/terminal/issues/9174

If we must use UTF-8 as the only encoding to talk to sub-processes via
ConPTY, that makes the number of applications that can be used this
way very small, since most programs we are used to run as
subprocesses, in particularly ports of GNU software like GCC, GDB,
Grep, Find, and many others, cannot reliably talk to Emacs in UTF-8
encoding on MS-Windows.  And without that, what would we use this
feature for?

So unfortunately, I don't think we should install these patches.