Subject: Re: bug#71472: [PATCH] Add pty support by using ConPTY on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2024 11:42:02 +0300

> Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2024 17:24:58 +0900
> From: Ke Wu <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "71472" <[email-masked]>
> 
> Thank you for your detailed explanation.  The patch itself cannot provide
> a satisfying pty support on Windows.  Its original purpose is to provide
> support to term.el and other packages which setup a terminal emulator
> inside Emacs.  It is not meant to be a replacement of `make-process` on
> Windows, but is used as a supplementary method to patch the broken
> term.el, which has long been an issue for Windows users.

OK, that narrows the applicability and thus the extent of possible
problems.  But still some problems remain: does that work with running
in "M-x term" programs that display fancy/unusual characters?  Did you
try that with Git, for example, showing changes whose authors or text
of the diffs include Unicode characters?  Or what happens if you run
the DIR command of cmd.exe in a directory which has files whose names
aren't supported by the system codepage?  Or what happens if you run a
program whose command-line arguments include characters not supported
by the current system codepage?

IOW, we must understand the limitations of this before we decide
whether this feature is justified.  Installing features with too many
limitations will annoy the users and cause complaints and bug reports.

Thanks.