Subject: Re: bug#71469: font-lock does not apply standard faces and their descendants

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2024 18:51:00 -0800

Version: 31.1

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> We have occasionally declared things obsolete with the understanding
>> that they'll be deleted much later than the normal "10 years, give or
>> take".  See the comment in `interactive-p', for example.
>>
>> The patch below gives me 64 warnings in our tree.  I'm not sure if it's
>> worth installing or not.
>
> FWIW, it's a +1 from me (assuming we then silence the resulting
> warnings, of course).

Thanks.

There have been no objections to the suggested patch, so I have now
installed a version of it on master as commit 3d3c1094604.  The
installed change silences all warnings, and updates the manual and NEWS.

The discussion in this thread focused on the wording of the warning, and
there were several good suggestions.  In the end, I settled on the
following, which I hope strikes a compromise between being brief, exact,
and telling the user in clear terms how to fix the warning:

    use the quoted symbol instead: 'font-lock-foo-face

Getting rid of these variables should help avoid the confusion that the
OP had regarding faces and variables.

With that, I'm closing this bug report.