Subject: bug#71469: font-lock does not apply standard faces and their descendants

From: Konstantin Kharlamov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2024 11:58:57 +0300

On Wed, 2024-10-09 at 10:43 +0200, Robert Pluim wrote:
> > > > > > On Tue, 08 Oct 2024 16:25:32 +0300, Konstantin Kharlamov
> > > > > > <[email-masked]> said:
>     >> 
>     >> "use value 'font-lock-comment-face directly instead"
> 
>     Konstantin> Maybe "pass font-lock-comment-face as a symbol
> instead"? To understand
>     Konstantin> what "directly" means one would have to notice the
> lone singular quote,
>     Konstantin> which I didn't when I read the suggestion, so I
> imagine I'd feel
>     Konstantin> confused had I not know what the warning is about.
> 
> Then the question becomes "how do I pass font-lock-comment-face as a
> symbol", to which the answer is 'font-lock-comment-face, which is in
> my suggestion :-)

Well, yeah, this implies a user knows what "a lisp symbol" is. I like
your suggestion to include the quote:

> How about "use quoted value 'font-lock-comment-face directly
> instead"?

I'm wondering whether "directly" makes this sentence any more clear or
maybe it's excessive? So like, maybe just "use quoted value 'font-lock-
comment-face instead"? Also, "the value" may be ambiguous here (because
`foo` is a value and `'foo` is a symbol, so we kind end up overloading
the meaning in the sentence) so maybe even make it shorter: "pass
'font-lock-comment-face quoted instead"? (FWIW, english isn't my native
language, Idk if the sentence flow sounds okay here)