Subject: 30.0.50; Buffer-menu-group-by non-nil resets point when Buffer List is reverted

From: Eshel Yaron <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2024 10:49:18 +0200

Hi,

I noticed a certain issue with the new Buffer-menu-group-by option: when
grouping is enabled, reverting the Buffer List buffer may move point
back to the beginning on the buffer.  This is especially problematic
when auto-revert-mode is involved.  Consider:

1. emacs -Q
2. (setq global-auto-revert-non-file-buffers t)
3. M-x global-auto-revert-mode RET
4. (setq Buffer-menu-group-by '(Buffer-menu-group-by-mode))
5. M-x list-buffers
6. Navigate to some heading in the Buffer List buffer, any heading
   besides the first.
7. Wait (or think) for 5 seconds.
8. Auto-revert kicks in and point moves back to the beginning
   of the buffer.

Without grouping, reverting the Buffer List (manually or via
global-auto-revert-mode) keeps point in place.

Best,

Eshel