Subject: Re: bug#7146: (make-symbol "") issues

From: MON KEY <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 19:48:51 -0400

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> wrote:
> MON KEY <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> So, IIUC is the rationale for doing this is that there aren't really
>> any particularly good reasons to intern the empty string given that
>> the reader is incapable of reading it correctly?
>

> The only reason is that it can lead to a crash.

So the potential for a crashed Emacs is rationale enough, whereas
potential for an inexplicably hung and thoroughly corrupted Emacs is
just grist for the mill?

>  There are plenty of
> reasons to shoot yourself in the foot in Lisp in you're determined to do

And a good deal of these apply equally even for the undetermined and
un-intentioned, not to mention the ill-intentioned.

> so; it's not profitable to address them unless a real world problem
> surfaces.
>

OK.

--
/s_P\