Subject: bug#71454: 30.0.50; Performance issues with font selection

From: Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2024 20:05:41 +0200

Kai Ma <[email-masked]> writes:

>> On Jun 10, 2024, at 18:42, Gerd Möllmann <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> […]
>> Maybe use the Font Book app and see if the fonts are all valid? (Start
>> Font Book, choose All Fonts, select them all with Command + A, then
>> context menu on the selectoin and choose Validate.)
>
> I do get some warnings. Font Book shows “52 minor problems were
> found”. Most are “Duplicate fonts”, but there are also real warnings
> like “name table structure”.
>
> To clear these warnings, I moved all font files in ~/Library/Fonts
> elsewhere, but the problem still persists, though the delay for the
> testing text is much shorter (about 5s now).

Progress :-).

Rumours have it that one can clear system caches (just to make sure) by
performing a safe boot (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/116946), and
then restarting normally.

And then there is the atsutil command line utitlity. Though I must say
that I never had to use that one, and so I can't say if it's
dangerous... (man atsutil).