Subject: 30.0.50; GNUS hangs on IMAP/s reads starting at commit bbc1803

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2024 11:36:30 -0500

1. Configure GNUS like so:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil "")
      gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '(
        ;; machine imap.fastmail.com login [email-masked]
        (nnimap "imap.fastmail.com"
                (nnimap-stream ssl)
                (nnimap-record-commands t)
                )
        )
      )

2. Start GNUS, open some folders and messages.

It's not clear to me exactly what's going on; sometimes the hang
happens upon opening a folder, sometimes opening a message.

git bisect shows that commit
bbc18031aff6f22a1f2b63355f18f294fbdeb797 introduced the bug.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit,
 cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-06-08 built on dogato
Repository revision: 4468216f17aca811c02b49d18c5bee4fb9fd6943
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101012
System Description: openSUSE Tumbleweed

Configured using:
 'configure -C --prefix=/opt/emacs-30.0.50.2.4468216f17a
 --disable-silent-rules --with-x-toolkit=athena --without-sqlite3
 --without-lcms2 --without-libsystemd --without-imagemagick
 --with-json --with-tree-sitter --without-xft --without-libotf
 --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-xaw3d --without-gpm
 --without-dbus --without-gconf --without-gsettings
 --without-selinux --without-compress-install --with-x'

Configured features:
CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBXML2 MODULES
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug mule-util cl-extra sort gnus-cite shr-color
color mm-archive mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping
ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-async gnus-bcklg
qp gnus-ml disp-table nndraft nnmh utf-7 network-stream nsm
nnfolder nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime
gnutls dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source
utf7 nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
gnus-win gnus nnheader range elfeed-show elfeed-search wid-edit
bookmark message sendmail yank-media dired dired-loaddefs rfc822
mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
shr pixel-fill kinsoku puny svg dom elfeed-csv elfeed elfeed-curl
elfeed-log elfeed-db elfeed-lib time-date avl-tree generator
url-queue url-file browse-url xml-query xml rust-utils rust-mode
derived rust-rustfmt rust-playpen rust-compile rust-cargo eglot
external-completion jsonrpc xref flymake thingatpt project compat
diff ert pp ewoc debug backtrace help-mode find-func filenotify
warnings compile text-property-search imenu ob-sql ob ob-tangle
ol rx org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp ob-comint comint
ansi-osc ansi-color ring ob-core org-cycle org-fold org-fold-core
ob-eval org-keys oc org-compat org-macs format-spec pcase vc-git
diff-mode track-changes easy-mmode vc-dispatcher url-cache url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf mailcap url-util
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons
cl-loaddefs cl-lib password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile url-vars rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face
macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads inotify
dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit xinput2 x
multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 356352 45636) (symbols 48 22166 7) (strings 32 71942 3853)
 (string-bytes 1 1769693) (vectors 16 60022) (vector-slots 8 675472 56298)
 (floats 8 406 13148) (intervals 56 451 94) (buffers 992 21))