Subject: bug#71452: closed (Re: bug#71452: 30.0.50; GNUS hangs on IMAP/s reads starting at commit bbc1803)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2024 16:49:02 +0000

Your bug report

#71452: 30.0.50; GNUS hangs on IMAP/s reads starting at commit bbc1803

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
71452: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=71452
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#71452: 30.0.50; GNUS hangs on IMAP/s reads starting at commit bbc1803
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: "Eric Gillespie" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2024 19:47:55 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2024 09:22:46 -0500
> From: "Eric Gillespie" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "Eli Zaretskii" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
>  "Stefan Kangas" <[email-masked]>
> 
> That seems to have fixed it. Thanks!

Thanks, closing.

Subject: 30.0.50; GNUS hangs on IMAP/s reads starting at commit bbc1803
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2024 11:36:30 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. Configure GNUS like so:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil "")
      gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '(
        ;; machine imap.fastmail.com login [email-masked]
        (nnimap "imap.fastmail.com"
                (nnimap-stream ssl)
                (nnimap-record-commands t)
                )
        )
      )

2. Start GNUS, open some folders and messages.

It's not clear to me exactly what's going on; sometimes the hang
happens upon opening a folder, sometimes opening a message.

git bisect shows that commit
bbc18031aff6f22a1f2b63355f18f294fbdeb797 introduced the bug.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 3, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit,
 cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-06-08 built on dogato
Repository revision: 4468216f17aca811c02b49d18c5bee4fb9fd6943
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101012
System Description: openSUSE Tumbleweed

Configured using:
 'configure -C --prefix=/opt/emacs-30.0.50.2.4468216f17a
 --disable-silent-rules --with-x-toolkit=athena --without-sqlite3
 --without-lcms2 --without-libsystemd --without-imagemagick
 --with-json --with-tree-sitter --without-xft --without-libotf
 --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-xaw3d --without-gpm
 --without-dbus --without-gconf --without-gsettings
 --without-selinux --without-compress-install --with-x'

Configured features:
CAIRO FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG LIBXML2 MODULES
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF
TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug mule-util cl-extra sort gnus-cite shr-color
color mm-archive mail-extr textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping
ucs-normalize uni-confusable textsec-check gnus-async gnus-bcklg
qp gnus-ml disp-table nndraft nnmh utf-7 network-stream nsm
nnfolder nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime
gnutls dig nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source
utf7 nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
gnus-win gnus nnheader range elfeed-show elfeed-search wid-edit
bookmark message sendmail yank-media dired dired-loaddefs rfc822
mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
shr pixel-fill kinsoku puny svg dom elfeed-csv elfeed elfeed-curl
elfeed-log elfeed-db elfeed-lib time-date avl-tree generator
url-queue url-file browse-url xml-query xml rust-utils rust-mode
derived rust-rustfmt rust-playpen rust-compile rust-cargo eglot
external-completion jsonrpc xref flymake thingatpt project compat
diff ert pp ewoc debug backtrace help-mode find-func filenotify
warnings compile text-property-search imenu ob-sql ob ob-tangle
ol rx org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp ob-comint comint
ansi-osc ansi-color ring ob-core org-cycle org-fold org-fold-core
ob-eval org-keys oc org-compat org-macs format-spec pcase vc-git
diff-mode track-changes easy-mmode vc-dispatcher url-cache url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf mailcap url-util
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons
cl-loaddefs cl-lib password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile url-vars rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode
register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face
macroexp files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads inotify
dynamic-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit xinput2 x
multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 356352 45636) (symbols 48 22166 7) (strings 32 71942 3853)
 (string-bytes 1 1769693) (vectors 16 60022) (vector-slots 8 675472 56298)
 (floats 8 406 13148) (intervals 56 451 94) (buffers 992 21))