Subject: bug#71439: closed (Re: bug#71439: Acknowledgement (30.0.50; gnus-summary-refer-thread doesn't work))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2024 11:44:02 +0000

Your bug report

#71439: 30.0.50; gnus-summary-refer-thread doesn't work

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
71439: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=71439
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#71439: Acknowledgement (30.0.50; gnus-summary-refer-thread doesn't work)
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: jao <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2024 14:40:50 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2024 19:43:05 +0000
> From:  jao via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> 
> Hi,
> 
> I've finally tracked down this problem to my use of a bespoke search
> engine based on the 'recoll' indexer. gnus-summary-refer-thread
> uses the search functionality of the configured engine, and mine wasn't
> handling correctly serches for a "thread".
> 
> So, this is not a bug and can be closed. Sorry for the noise.

Thanks, closing.

Subject: 30.0.50; gnus-summary-refer-thread doesn't work
From: "Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2024 16:07:41 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

gnus-summary-refer-thread doesn't seem to work:

- Enter a group with threads in it, with all its messages already
  read. Tick the first message of one of them.
- Reenter the group, so that only one message is shown, the ticked one
- Invoke gnus-summary-refer-thread (A T): gnus says that no other
  messages are present in the thread

I can reproduce this with all backends I use, and at first thought it
was because of the spurious ids protonmail introduces. But it also
happens in pure NNTP groups, for instance reading emacs bug groups from
gmane.

It's also worth noting that Gnus has no trouble finding the parent of
the message it says belongs to no thread, via ^

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 8, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, cairo version
 1.18.0) of 2024-06-07 built on osgiliath
Repository revision: 6906ed28f1b4ac0cf0a2a725e7402290f33c26e2
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101011
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix /usr/local/stow/emacs30jit --with-x-toolkit=no
 --with-native-compilation --with-imagemagick'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ
IMAGEMAGICK JPEG LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY OLDXMENU PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND
SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Summary

Minor modes in effect:
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  eat-eshell-visual-command-mode: t
  eat-eshell-mode: t
  circe-lagmon-mode: t
  exwm-systemtray-mode: t
  telega-root-auto-fill-mode: t
  telega-contact-birthdays-mode: t
  telega-active-video-chats-mode: t
  telega-active-locations-mode: t
  telega-patrons-mode: t
  telega-mode-line-mode: t
  telega-active-stories-mode: t
  global-diff-hl-mode: t
  eshell-syntax-highlighting-global-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  vertico-multiform-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  persistent-scratch-autosave-mode: t
  ednc-mode: t
  jao-minibuffer-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  server-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/jao/lib/elisp/notmuch/notmuch-compat hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/notmuch-compat
/home/jao/lib/elisp/notmuch/notmuch hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/notmuch
/home/jao/lib/elisp/notmuch/notmuch-tree hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/notmuch-tree
/home/jao/lib/elisp/notmuch/notmuch-lib hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/notmuch-lib
/home/jao/lib/elisp/notmuch/notmuch-message hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/notmuch-message
/home/jao/lib/elisp/notmuch/notmuch-address hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/notmuch-address
/home/jao/lib/elisp/notmuch/notmuch-show hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/notmuch-show
/home/jao/lib/elisp/notmuch/notmuch-wash hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/notmuch-wash
/home/jao/lib/elisp/notmuch/notmuch-print hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/notmuch-print
/home/jao/lib/elisp/notmuch/notmuch-company hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/notmuch-company
/home/jao/lib/elisp/notmuch/notmuch-hello hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/notmuch-hello
/home/jao/lib/elisp/notmuch/notmuch-parser hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/notmuch-parser
/home/jao/lib/elisp/notmuch/coolj hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/coolj
/home/jao/lib/elisp/notmuch/notmuch-jump hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/notmuch-jump
/home/jao/lib/elisp/notmuch/notmuch-maildir-fcc hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/notmuch-maildir-fcc
/home/jao/lib/elisp/notmuch/notmuch-tag hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/notmuch-tag
/home/jao/lib/elisp/notmuch/notmuch-version hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/notmuch-version
/home/jao/lib/elisp/notmuch/notmuch-mua hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/notmuch-mua
/home/jao/lib/elisp/notmuch/notmuch-crypto hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/notmuch-crypto
/home/jao/lib/elisp/notmuch/notmuch-draft hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/notmuch-draft
/home/jao/lib/elisp/notmuch/notmuch-query hides /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/notmuch-query
/home/jao/.emacs.d/elpa.30/transient-20240603.2200/transient hides /usr/local/stow/emacs30jit/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/transient
/home/jao/etc/emacs/site/custom hides /usr/local/stow/emacs30jit/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/custom

Features:
(shadow shortdoc display-line-numbers jenkins cl-print backtrace
magit-extras emacsql-sqlite-builtin embark-vc forge-repos forge-topics
forge-tablist forge-commands forge-semi forge-bitbucket buck forge-gogs
gogs forge-gitea gtea forge-gitlab glab forge-github ghub-graphql treepy
gsexp ghub forge-notify forge-revnote forge-pullreq forge-issue
forge-topic yaml forge-post markdown-toc markdown-mode forge-repo forge
forge-core forge-db closql emacsql-sqlite-common emacsql
emacsql-compiler eieio-base misearch multi-isearch vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src
vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs bug-reference magit-bookmark
magit-submodule magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect
magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit
magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge
magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit
magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func magit-diff
git-commit log-edit add-log magit-core magit-autorevert magit-margin
magit-transient magit-process with-editor magit-mode magit-git
magit-base magit-section cider-macroexpansion cider tramp-sh cider-debug
cider-browse-ns cider-mode cider-xref-backend cider-find cider-inspector
cider-completion cider-profile cider-eval cider-jar arc-mode
archive-mode cider-repl-history pulse cider-repl cider-resolve
cider-test cider-overlays cider-stacktrace cider-doc cider-browse-spec
cider-clojuredocs cider-eldoc cider-docstring cider-client cider-common
cider-completion-context cider-connection cider-popup sesman-browser
nrepl-client cider-util sesman queue nrepl-dict spinner parseedn
parseclj-parser parseclj-lex parseclj-alist clojure-mode app-launcher
tramp-cache time-stamp sh-script quail bbdb-pgp ecomplete mailalias
bbdb-message gnus-search eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe pcmpl-unix
bash-completion eat term/xterm xterm em-unix em-script em-pred em-ls
em-hist em-glob em-extpipe em-cmpl em-basic em-banner smerge-mode diff
flow-fill sort gnus-cite qp mm-archive mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg
gnus-dup gnus-ml gnus-topic utf-7 imap rfc2104 nnml executable copyright
bbdb-gnus bbdb-mua gnus-icalendar ol-gnus nnselect gnus-demon gnus-delay
gnus-draft gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual nntp
gnus-cache gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 nndraft nnmh gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win cal-move
cal-iso image-file image-converter oc-basic bibtex org-agenda shr-color
circe-lagmon lui-track circe-display-images circe lui-irc-colors irc lcs
lui-logging lui-format lui flyspell ispell circe-compat mastodon-media
textsec uni-scripts idna-mapping ucs-normalize uni-confusable
textsec-check mastodon-profile mastodon-tl paredit whitespace
display-fill-column-indicator symbol-overlay vertico-directory
tramp-cmds face-remap network-stream url-http url-gw nsm url-cache
url-auth mastodon-auth mastodon-client plstore mule-util time
jao-custom-exwm exwm-systemtray xcb-systemtray xcb-xembed exwm-edit exwm
exwm-input xcb-keysyms xcb-xkb exwm-manage exwm-floating xcb-cursor
xcb-render exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb
xcb-xproto xcb-types xcb-debug bigml bml-logs bml bml-misc bml-whizzml
bml-clojure bml-clj-tests bml-python bml-skels bml-utils multisession
sqlite whizzml-skeletons whizzml-mode sieve sieve-mode sieve-manage sasl
sasl-anonymous sasl-login sasl-plain xmobar xclip jao-wayland jao-spt
consult-spotify espotify jao-mpc jao-random-album jao-lyrics jao-mpris
mastodon mastodon-search mastodon-toot facemenu mastodon-iso
mastodon-http telega-obsolete telega telega-tdlib-events telega-webpage
telega-match telega-root telega-info telega-chat visual-fill-column
telega-modes telega-company telega-emoji telega-user
telega-notifications telega-voip telega-msg telega-story telega-tme
telega-sticker telega-vvnote bindat telega-ffplay telega-i18n
telega-sort telega-filter telega-ins telega-inline telega-util
telega-folders telega-topic telega-media telega-tdlib
rainbow-identifiers dired-aux telega-server telega-core cursor-sensor
color telega-customize emacsbug jao-mullvad bluetooth json-mode smie
virtualenvwrapper gud s pie haskell haskell-completions haskell-load
haskell-commands highlight-uses-mode haskell-modules haskell-sandbox
haskell-navigate-imports haskell-repl haskell-svg haskell-collapse
hideshow haskell-debug haskell-interactive-mode
haskell-presentation-mode haskell-compile haskell-process
haskell-session haskell-hoogle consult-hoogle hoogle-base align
geiser-chez geiser-guile tramp trampver tramp-integration tramp-message
tramp-compat parse-time iso8601 tramp-loaddefs info-look geiser-debug
geiser-repl geiser-image geiser-capf geiser-doc geiser-menu
geiser-autodoc geiser-edit geiser-completion geiser-eval
geiser-connection tq geiser-syntax scheme geiser-impl help-fns
radix-tree geiser-log geiser-popup view geiser-custom geiser-base geiser
package-lint let-alist finder lisp-mnt edit-list outline-minor-faces
git-modes gitignore-mode gitconfig-mode conf-mode gitattributes-mode
git-link git-timemachine diff-hl log-view pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc vc
jao-eshell-here eshell-autojump em-dirs eshell-up git-ps1-mode em-term
term disp-table ehelp eshell-syntax-highlighting em-prompt em-alias
jao-custom-email jao-custom-notmuch consult-notmuch org-capture
jao-notmuch link-hint avy notmuch notmuch-tree notmuch-jump
notmuch-hello notmuch-show notmuch-print notmuch-crypto notmuch-mua
notmuch-message notmuch-draft notmuch-maildir-fcc notmuch-address
notmuch-company notmuch-parser notmuch-wash coolj goto-addr icalendar
notmuch-tag notmuch-lib notmuch-version notmuch-compat hl-line mm-view
mml-smime smime gnutls dig bbdb-anniv bbdb-com crm bbdb bbdb-site
timezone randomsig message sendmail yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils jao-proton-utils nov imenu esxml-query
saveplace-pdf-view jao-custom-eww ol-eww jao-eww-session eww url-queue
shr pixel-fill kinsoku url-file svg puny mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util
range edit-indirect reverso dom request mailheader mail-utils
jao-custom-blog htmlize jao-custom-org jao-org-links jao-doc-view
jao-pdf doc-view image-mode exif ol-info ol-eshell esh-mode esh-var
eshell esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module
esh-module-loaddefs esh-util files-x jao-org-notes ob-shell shell
ob-scheme ob-python python treesit ob-org ob-ocaml ob-makefile
ob-haskell ob-gnuplot ob-clojure ob-calc calc-store calc-trail calc-ext
calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs org-tempo tempo ox-pandoc ht dash
ox-org ox-texinfo ox-latex ox-html table ox-ascii ox-publish ox
org-fragtog embark-org org-element org-persist xdg org-id org-refile
avl-tree org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-footnote
org-faces org-entities time-date ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-cycle
org-table ol org-fold org-fold-core org-keys oc org-loaddefs find-func
org-version org-compat org-macs advice winner autorevert filenotify
consult-recoll embark-consult consult bookmark jao-custom-completion
embark ffap vertico-multiform vertico marginalia orderless
jao-skel-latex jao-skel-haskell haskell-mode haskell-cabal haskell-utils
haskell-font-lock haskell-indentation haskell-string
haskell-sort-imports haskell-lexeme haskell-align-imports
haskell-complete-module haskell-ghc-support flymake-proc flymake
thingatpt etags fileloop generator xref project dabbrev
haskell-customize jao-compilation jao-skel-lisp jao-skel-geiser jao-skel
skeleton autoinsert wgrep grep compile text-property-search comint
ansi-osc ring jka-compr dired-duplicates dired-x dired dired-loaddefs
persistent-scratch cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam
cal-hebrew holidays holiday-loaddefs vc-git diff-mode track-changes
vc-dispatcher appt diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs jao-ednc ednc mm-util mail-prsvr jao-tracking jao-afio
jao-doc-session tracking shorten jao-notify alert log4e notifications
gntp battery noutline outline diminish jao-mode-line comp comp-cstr
warnings comp-run comp-common rx jao-minibuffer minibuf-eldef mb-depth
man jao-light-theme jao-themes ansi-color epa-file epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config transient format-spec compat repeat jao-shell edmacro
kmacro jao-sleep dbus xml server savehist recentf tree-widget saveplace
persist cus-edit pp cus-load wid-edit jao-gnus-private
gnu-elpa-keyring-update cl-extra help-mode use-package
use-package-ensure use-package-delight use-package-diminish
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode use-package-core finder-inf
alert-autoloads auctex-autoloads tex-site bash-completion-autoloads
bbdb-autoloads bluetooth-autoloads casual-dired-autoloads
cider-autoloads circe-autoloads clojure-mode-autoloads
consult-git-log-grep-autoloads consult-hoogle-autoloads
diff-hl-autoloads diminish-autoloads dired-duplicates-autoloads
eat-autoloads edit-indirect-autoloads edit-list-autoloads ednc-autoloads
embark-consult-autoloads consult-autoloads embark-vc-autoloads
embark-autoloads eshell-autojump-autoloads
eshell-syntax-highlighting-autoloads eshell-up-autoloads exwm-autoloads
exwm-edit-autoloads flymake-hlint-autoloads flymake-easy-autoloads
forge-autoloads closql-autoloads emacsql-autoloads ghub-autoloads
git-link-autoloads git-modes-autoloads git-ps1-mode-autoloads
git-timemachine-autoloads gntp-autoloads
gnu-elpa-keyring-update-autoloads goto-chg-autoloads
haskell-mode-autoloads hlint-refactor-autoloads htmlize-autoloads
jenkins-autoloads json-mode-autoloads link-hint-autoloads avy-autoloads
log4e-autoloads magit-autoloads pcase git-commit-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads marginalia-autoloads markdown-toc-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads mastodon-autoloads nov-autoloads esxml-autoloads
kv-autoloads orderless-autoloads org-cliplink-autoloads
org-fragtog-autoloads org-static-blog-autoloads
outline-minor-faces-autoloads ox-pandoc-autoloads ht-autoloads
package-lint-autoloads paredit-autoloads parseedn-autoloads
parseclj-autoloads password-store-autoloads persist-autoloads
persistent-scratch-autoloads queue-autoloads reverso-autoloads
request-autoloads saveplace-pdf-view-autoloads sesman-autoloads
spinner-autoloads symbol-overlay-autoloads telega-autoloads
rainbow-identifiers-autoloads transient-autoloads treepy-autoloads
vertico-autoloads virtualenvwrapper-autoloads s-autoloads dash-autoloads
visual-fill-column-autoloads wgrep-autoloads info with-editor-autoloads
xclip-autoloads xelb-autoloads yaml-autoloads yaml-mode-autoloads
package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs icons
password-cache json subr-x map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo xinput2 x
multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 4335534 759989) (symbols 48 122405 433) (strings 32 866101 46043)
 (string-bytes 1 27253991) (vectors 16 276411) (vector-slots 8 5151686 326992)
 (floats 8 301984 40001) (intervals 56 82586 27140) (buffers 992 262))

-- 
千里之行始於足下
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
  — 老子 (Lao Tsu) in Chapter 64 of 道德经 (Tao Te Ching)