Subject: Re: bug#71439: 30.0.50; gnus-summary-refer-thread doesn't work

From: jao <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2024 22:12:07 +0000

On Sat, Jun 08 2024, Manuel Giraud wrote:

> Hi Jose,
>
> Here are my current values for those settings (those prefix by * were
> modified from the original value):
>
> gnus-face-1 is 'italic
> gnus-show-threads is t
> gnus-thread-hide-subtree is nil
> gnus-build-sparse-threads is nil
> gnus-refer-thread-use-search is nil
> gnus-summary-make-false-root is 'adopt
> gnus-summary-gather-subject-limit is nil
> *gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function is 'gnus-gather-threads-by-references
> gnus-sort-gathered-threads-function is 'gnus-thread-sort-by-number
> *gnus-thread-sort-functions is '(gnus-thread-sort-by-date)
>
>> (setq gnus-face-1 'jao-gnus-face-tree
>>       gnus-show-threads t
>>       gnus-thread-hide-subtree t
>>       gnus-build-sparse-threads nil
>>       gnus-refer-thread-use-search t
>>       gnus-summary-make-false-root 'adopt
>>       gnus-summary-gather-subject-limit nil ;; 120
>>       gnus-summary-thread-gathering-function #'gnus-gather-threads-by-subject
>>       gnus-sort-gathered-threads-function 'gnus-thread-sort-by-date
>>       gnus-thread-sort-functions '(gnus-thread-sort-by-date))

Interestingly, setting gnus-refer-thread-use-search makes A T throw an
error for me in an nnml summary buffer, with the backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil)
  nnheader-find-nov-line(nil)
  nnheader-nov-delete-outside-range(nil nil)
  nnml-retrieve-headers-with-nov(nil nil)
  nnml-retrieve-headers(nil "jao.hacking" "" nil)
  gnus-retrieve-headers(nil "nnml:jao.hacking" nil)
  gnus-fetch-headers(nil nil t)
  gnus-search-thread([44915 "Re: bug#71439: 30.0.50; gnus-summary-refer-thread doesn't work" "\"Manuel Giraud\" <[email-masked]>" #("Sat, 08 Jun 2024 23:30:04 +0200" 0 1 (gnus-time (26212 52572))) "<[email-masked]>" "<[email-masked]> <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>" 1291 43 "osgiliath jao.hacking:44915" ((To . "\"jao\" <[email-masked]>") (Cc . "\"Jose A. Ortega Ruiz\\\" via \\\"Bug reports for GNU [email-masked], the Swiss army knife of text editors\" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>"))])
  gnus-summary-refer-thread(nil)
  funcall-interactively(gnus-summary-refer-thread nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-summary-refer-thread nil nil)
  command-execute(gnus-summary-refer-thread)

while setting all the other parameters to your values but that one
doesn't fix the original problem: i am told, incorrectly:

"No other articles in thread"