Subject: bug#71438: [PATCH] Allow ping to receive optional arguments

From: TOMAS FABRIZIO ORSI <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2024 12:03:37 -0300

Hello Eli and Stefan,

Thanks for the quick response.
I'll reply to both of your emails here; I hope I am not breaking Emacs
email etiquette.

Stefan Kangas said:
> Consider adding a ChangeLog entry to the commit message, see CONTRIBUTE.

Noted. I thought my patch was too small to be mentioned in ChangeLog.
I'll keep this in mind for future patches :D.
As a side note, I found the CONTRIBUTE file very helpful.
I personally found
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Contributing.html
to be a bit unclear.

Stefan Kangas said:
> Note that we don't usually use "Signed-off-by" trailers so that can
> probably be removed as redundant.

Noted. I'll remove that as well. Do patches need to be PGP signed?

Eli Zaretskii said:
> I actually wonder why change the name of the option at all?

I thought that changing the name of the variable would better
indicate its intended purpose. Since, with the patch, those
variables would only be as a fallback/default (hence the name
change). In retrospect, maybe it's a bit unnecessary and the
name should be kept the same.

Eli Zaretskii said:
> Yes, I think we should do that, in which case the change is no longer
backward-incompatible.

Great! What's the procedure now? Should I upload a new patch to this
same thread with the changes you both mentioned?
As a side note, any additional notes?
Any style comments? Elisp advice? Any other function I should look into
to "imitate" the style of a good use of prefix argument?

Thank you for all the feedback,

Best regards,

- Fabrizio