Subject: [bug#71408] Update on Python team pt1

From: Steve George <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2024 22:54:55 +0100

Hi,

I've pushed 31 commits to:

git clone https://git.sdf.org/futurile/guix-play/ --branch python-team-71408-pt1

As I don't think anyone has pulled from it I force pushed it an hour ago.

The cherry-picked commits are:

[email-masked]:  1ff7dfeab65c27bff1ddd0694b5c16c648a0cd0b
[email-masked]:  93d627adccf07e57a36a8b0a5ad6ba3878814820
[email-masked]  126d3223f4687c8319fc386481714c5c17227c42
[email-masked]  175eea0d091d80f36a468c2154196a79c7d83148
Add setuptools/wheels to packages  549efcb63714a8715a81e3944de94e7a7d337d7d
[email-masked] fd577e065c48c06083b8e1eeebc6cc86a7238ffb
[email-masked]  160f89e8a18c0bf21b232df2d10ff725068a54b2
[email-masked]  717ba970f2924c41a315c8bdc7994fbbba98475a
[email-masked]  e2745702b79702a928241545b83169bb748aa9a9
[email-masked]  f5fa5f549cd88c5b31262e30bf90f426b89793f4
[email-masked]  839057dcfed27a109d3c9daadf320d3a7bff2ae6
[email-masked]  557aa4792136e860e3f8e28dc25527591d28b3ab
[email-masked]  406e3b159cccb7a79370205767e55e5c27a395df
  - requires traitlets
python-nbconvert  569256f3e6b7e5bcca891123039db3a26c23b0ce
  - was higher up; needed by python-rich
[email-masked]   59ee791c6223761dd467642a0236c6a99200e32d
[email-masked]  99e8317bce68fd001f1a20980d8489d7b027be60
  - was higher up; 
[email-masked]  b1fbfe5b55b85e44d4f3e60c3ae6ec9bff71bf11
[email-masked]  a7ee6d91c81a1b9144811b175aad0e758a9fb03c
python-argcomplete  1b588a1baf5d78713d35fd074c4792c972164f95
python-pynacl  7d11cf28bbc6158b971bedb03fa77e3d7cf41940
python-pytest-arraydiff  86144159f36602f17b5808a2276f6fd23fcd7db9
python-itemloaders  b548cfd67124fcc75d2f0f4f19d1ebbc3e1ad884
python-misteltoe  25d27be8a937d4fef31af8c5ca87286fa8599485
python-vine  484ad0ee5f3e3a77454aa816585e527b70b41a09
python-joblib  2499d3143cae865839231113012642a60272c2a8
python-box  dd8f10fd79946e8f6f2f1613317a5a8d9e527d32
futurile-python-pytdata-sphinx-theme-fix 071e5e1ca795b2a5dacd46c0da05f57385220046
futurile-python-certauth-fix  c390ac8aeb13e4ed565d52d521d09752ce318e07
  - need help with this as I can't figure out why it's failing
gnu-python-attrs-Update-to  fabbb32638813b944b9da3749599fac6eed4221c
  - 2130 package rebuilds
  - have built about 100 - better to rebuild after python-rich
[email-masked]  611b7257463e9a0b757aee492ab54dda33a5ebe8
    - NEW - combines two patches
    - b8e3e0e4d42cdaf9b48aecb0e0660493fa4f8b1b
    - bf18849eda26f83fec42124c95b652c1aaa77f15
[email-masked]  d3604f1c9898e79d9d6c5cad06bb06358f78a25f
    - python-rich wants 350 packages rebuild - done about 30

Not working (for me):
---------------------

- meson-python  86631897caa19606c407729818c21229f44ed947
- python-pycurl  94f54d29eb104d750d6d77b93d9e00e8f0937350
  - another ceert fail, as is certauth
- python-packaging-bootstrap  39fc22f3dccc1f34c83c7469ded91bcd5d32d35d
  - complains about a dependency cycle
  - https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/4322844/details - SUCCESS on python-team!
  - fails for me
- [email-masked]  082a2d43a8b850e73e07d07a61f70cae3a3a0428
  - requires rapidfuzz
- [email-masked]  fa6755520c8e09969aef693b0ab884deac6a0343
  - https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/4738134/details -> python-scikit-build
- python-myst-parser ab9c7c535403b7e813a44e56d8cce63afd5b8588
  - https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/4737838/details
  - fails

Pyproject build-system (not cherrypicked)
------------------------------------------

- 2a06463c6ad41b2d37285988f05e9d7b5fad2d32
- 4ce43dd688dc0d6471ce9b2ed10732e235a5f12c
- fb70a545ad2b494f39ae7d22e205759702006e10
- d383150bd9ded7cc2f1b976ae4a833d6b05924f5
- 0a20b52b44600fed9948865ae45a06a52b8386b8
- cb5f963e7a270a973bcb1850136df2e358a0e75a
- a688230bc25dea5b3c0ff1f1de80dc02e6afd80b
- ee1cacdda4627798930a1ffe8eb4030b940b4030
- c955dd1e732c7abee0a8a598e57f11e564735383
- 6c2090169ba9495deb15734227925b8faf9bbca9
- a436de1fb9dd063f3c61aa5b36fe4e31cbef9048
- fd577e065c48c06083b8e1eeebc6cc86a7238ffb
- df580a54f49ddc5d7aa99992916f4537f48df48d

Next steps
-----------
The ones I've cherry-picked are all from the 'start' of the branch.
I'm still rebuilding the python-attrs & python-rich dependents.
For now, it doesn't look like these are making things worse.

I will create another small branch 'stacked' on top of this one, to continue testing.

Futurile / Steve