Subject: Re: Request for merging "python-team" branch

From: Tanguy LE CARROUR <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2024 09:28:26 +0200

Hi jgart,

Quoting jgart (2024-06-18 22:46:47)
> This long lived python-team branch as of today has a lot of git conflicts if
> you try to rebase and/or merge it on to master.
> […]
> Here's a tentative proposal, with an example: 
> […]
> I think that keeping the team branches focused on a particular team
> sub-feature within that team's scope and not using long-lived and largely
> scoped branches will avoid a ton of frustration trying to fix merge conflicts
> when/before we announce a request to merge.
> 
> We can then focus our focused efforts on iterating over preparing major Python
> features and packages that require large amounts rebuilds.

IM(V)HO… the smaller and the more-frequently-rebased the branches, the better!
I still haven’t wrapped my head around the consequences for the CI of rebasing
often —can a simple rebase trigger a world rebuild?—, but this is definitively
something that I do —quite successfully!— on a daily basis in my professional life.

I guess it’s just a matter of giving it a try and see? It’s always possible to
go back to the one-branch-to-rule-them-all `python-team` branch if managing
multiple branches ends up being a pain, right?

I also have no clue how the other teams are managing their branch and their
rebase/merge policy?

-- 
Tanguy