Subject: bug#71394: [PATCH] Update .org->.texi Makefile target for new Org 9.7 release

From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2024 12:07:34 +0000

Tags: patch

Tags: patch

X-Debbugs-CC: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>

May you please install the attached patch for .org->.texi Makefile rule?
The patch enables evaluation of code blocks inside the manual - this
allows generating parts of the manual programatically.

Note that this patch may also affect _future_ versions of other .org
manuals. Currently, it is modus-themes.org - the only other .org manual
in Emacs tree. If code blocks in .org manuals are explicitly marked with
:eval yes header argument, they will be evaluated during export to
produce generated output for inclusion into the manual.

We need this patch to make the new version of Org manual (in Org mode
9.7) work. We also hope to merge Org 9.7 into Emacs before emacs-30
branch is cut.

In GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
 3.24.41, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-06-01 built on localhost
Repository revision: 1c59acd7b63ca507d3d12e0dba7f77510ced9c45
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101013
System Description: Gentoo Linux

Configured using:
 'configure JAVAC=/etc/java-config-2/current-system-vm/bin/javac'

>From 71a43b4652987faa4b6c96d9d075e6d9652577e0 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
From: Kyle Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2024 00:05:46 -0400
Subject: [PATCH] Enable code block evaluation when generating .org manuals

* doc/misc/Makefile.in ($(1:.org=.texi)): Enable code block evaluation
in Org mode manual and other .org manuals to produce automatically
generated parts.

When testing a scratch sync to the Emacs repo, the build failed with

    make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/kyle/src/savannah/emacs--master/lisp'
    Evaluate this emacs-lisp code block on your system? (yes or no)
    Error: end-of-file ("Error reading from stdin")
      yes-or-no-p("Evaluate this emacs-lisp code block on your system? ")

That's expected given 715148131 (org-manual: Automatically generate
export option list, 2023-07-31) and the default
org-confirm-babel-evaluate value.
---
 doc/misc/Makefile.in | 1 +
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)

diff --git a/doc/misc/Makefile.in b/doc/misc/Makefile.in
index 2841916dc89..b26d3525a22 100644
--- a/doc/misc/Makefile.in
+++ b/doc/misc/Makefile.in
@@ -250,6 +250,7 @@ define org_template
  $(1:.org=.texi): $(1) ${top_srcdir}/lisp/org/ox-texinfo.el
 	$${AM_V_GEN}cd "$${srcdir}" && $${emacs} -l ox-texinfo \
 	  --eval '(setq gc-cons-threshold 50000000)' \
+	  --eval '(setq org-confirm-babel-evaluate nil)' \
 	  -f org-texinfo-export-to-texinfo-batch $$(notdir $$<) $$(notdir $$@)
 endef
 
-- 
2.45.1

-- 
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,
Learn more about Org mode at <https://orgmode.org/>.
Support Org development at <https://liberapay.com/org-mode>,
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/yantar92>