Subject: bug#71370: 30.0.50; Please un-obsolete buffer-substring as a generalized variable

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2025 21:09:35 -0800

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> If not, I think what Sean writes above is the way to go.
>
> What about what I said and Sean agreed to?  Did you read my replies?

Yes, if you mean this part:

        Please let's keep those two separate questions separate: (1) is a
        certain functionality useful, and (2) if it is, should it be provided,
        maybe even only, as a gv setter function.

As for `buffer-substring`, if we can't have a function that provides
that functionality (the proposed `replace-region`), then (setf
(buffer-substring ...) ...) is clearly _not_ obsolete and shouldn't be
marked as such.

As for `buffer-string`, I don't know any proposed replacement function,
so I think it's not obsolete on these grounds too.  FWIW, I don't see a
huge need for a replacement function, and I think a generalized variable
is perfectly serviceable in that case.