Subject: Re: bug#71370: 30.0.50; Please un-obsolete buffer-substring as a generalized variable

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2024 11:16:17 +0300

> Cc: Adam Porter <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
>  Andrea Corallo <[email-masked]>
> From: Ihor Radchenko <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2024 06:05:10 +0000
> 
> Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > These were exactly the kind of problems why those place expressions had
> > been obsoleted.
> 
> Do note that the original reason of obsoletion was different:

Commit log messages are not a legal document, so treating them as if
they were the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth is not
TRT.  (I'm guessing that Org commit log messages don't necessarily
tell the whole story behind the changes, either, at least not in all
cases.)

While having some reason in the commit log message can be used as
evidence that its author had that in mind, the absence of a reason can
NOT and should not be used as evidence that it was NOT in the author's
mind.