Subject: 14.0.5; AUCTeX 14.05 and LaTeX Mode

From: Robert Morelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2024 08:25:20 -0600

I am reporting about some confusion as to which version of AUCTeX is
current and stable. On the AUCTeX home page
(https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/), it is stated that version
13.3 is the current version, but the version on the GNU ELPA site is
14.0.5.

This is an inconvenience for anyone who uses automatic package updates.

Functionally, version 14.0.5 has at least one shortcoming that makes it
unusable for me: invoking org-edit-special from an org-mode latex src block
opens a buffer in latex-mode (not LaTeX-mode). This is a change from
version 13.3.

Either way, something is amiss.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 29.3 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin23.4.0, NS 
appkit-2487.50 Version 14.4.1 (Build 23E224))
  of 2024-04-19
Package: 14.0.5

current state:
==============
(setq
  AUCTeX-date "2024-05-19_09:43:32"
  window-system 'ns
  LaTeX-version "2e"
  TeX-style-path '("/usr/local/var/auctex" 
"/Users/robertmorelli/.config/emacs/elpa/auctex-14.0.5/style" 
"/Users/robertmorelli/.config/emacs/auctex/auto"
"/Users/robertmorelli/.config/emacs/auctex/style" "auto" "style")
  TeX-auto-save t
  TeX-parse-self t
  TeX-master nil
  TeX-command-list '(("LatexMk" "latexmk %(-PDF)%S%(mode) 
%(file-line-error) %(extraopts) %t" TeX-run-latexmk nil (plain-tex-mode 
latex-mode doctex-mode) :help "Run LatexMk")
                     ("TeX" "%(PDF)%(tex) %(file-line-error) 
%`%(extraopts) %S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %(output-dir) %t" TeX-run-TeX nil 
(plain-TeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode) :help
                      "Run plain TeX")
                     ("LaTeX" "%`%l%(mode)%' %T" TeX-run-TeX nil 
(LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode) :help "Run LaTeX")
                     ("Makeinfo" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %(o-dir) %t" 
TeX-run-compile nil (Texinfo-mode) :help "Run Makeinfo with Info output")
                     ("Makeinfo HTML" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %(o-dir) 
--html %t" TeX-run-compile nil (Texinfo-mode) :help "Run Makeinfo with 
HTML output")
                     ("AmSTeX" "amstex %(PDFout) %`%(extraopts) 
%S%(mode)%' %(output-dir) %t" TeX-run-TeX nil (AmSTeX-mode) :help "Run 
AMSTeX")
                     ("ConTeXt" "%(cntxcom) --once %(extraopts) 
%(execopts)%t" TeX-run-TeX nil (ConTeXt-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt once")
                     ("ConTeXt Full" "%(cntxcom) %(extraopts) 
%(execopts)%t" TeX-run-TeX nil (ConTeXt-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt until 
completion")
                     ("BibTeX" "bibtex %(O?aux)" TeX-run-BibTeX nil 
(plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode 
ConTeXt-mode) :help "Run BibTeX")
                     ("Biber" "biber %(output-dir) %s" TeX-run-Biber nil 
(plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode) :help 
"Run Biber")
                     ("Texindex" "texindex %s.??" TeX-run-command nil 
(Texinfo-mode) :help "Run Texindex")
                     ("Texi2dvi" "%(PDF)texi2dvi %t" TeX-run-command nil 
(Texinfo-mode) :help "Run Texi2dvi or Texi2pdf")
                     ("View" "%V" TeX-run-discard-or-function t t :help 
"Run Viewer") ("Print" "%p" TeX-run-command t t :help "Print the file")
                     ("Queue" "%q" TeX-run-background nil t :help "View 
the printer queue" :visible TeX-queue-command)
                     ("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips t 
(plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode) :help 
"Generate PostScript file")
                     ("Dvips" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips nil 
(plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode) :help 
"Convert DVI file to PostScript")
                     ("Dvipdfmx" "dvipdfmx -o %(O?pdf) %d" 
TeX-run-dvipdfmx nil (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode 
Texinfo-mode) :help
                      "Convert DVI file to PDF with dvipdfmx")
                     ("Ps2pdf" "ps2pdf %f %(O?pdf)" TeX-run-ps2pdf nil 
(plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode) :help 
"Convert PostScript file to PDF")
                     ("LaTeXMk" "latexmk %(latexmk-out) 
%(file-line-error) %`%(extraopts) %S%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-format nil 
(LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode) :help "Run LaTeXMk")
                     ("Glossaries" "makeglossaries %(d-dir) %s" 
TeX-run-command nil (plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode 
Texinfo-mode) :help
                      "Run makeglossaries to create glossary file")
                     ("Index" "makeindex %(O?idx)" TeX-run-index nil 
(plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode) :help 
"Run makeindex to create index file")
                     ("upMendex" "upmendex %(O?idx)" TeX-run-index t 
(plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode) :help 
"Run upmendex to create index file")
                     ("Xindy" "texindy %s" TeX-run-command nil 
(plain-TeX-mode LaTeX-mode docTeX-mode AmSTeX-mode Texinfo-mode) :help 
"Run xindy to create index file")
                     ("Check" "chktex -v6 %s" TeX-run-compile nil 
(LaTeX-mode) :help "Check LaTeX file for correctness")
                     ("ChkTeX" "chktex -v6 %s" TeX-run-compile nil 
(LaTeX-mode) :help "Check LaTeX file for common mistakes")
                     ("Spell" "(TeX-ispell-document \"\")" 
TeX-run-function nil t :help "Spell-check the document")
                     ("Clean" "TeX-clean" TeX-run-function nil t :help 
"Delete generated intermediate files")
                     ("Clean All" "(TeX-clean t)" TeX-run-function nil t 
:help "Delete generated intermediate and output files")
                     ("Other" "" TeX-run-command t t :help "Run an 
arbitrary command")
                     ("sagemath" "sage %s.sagetex.sage" TeX-run-command 
nil t :help "Run SAGE on the SAGE file corresponding to this LaTeX file 
(run latex first)."))
  )