Subject: Re: bug#71363: 14.0.5; AUCTeX 14.05 and LaTeX Mode

From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2024 21:05:58 +0200

Hi Keita,

Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think so. `major-mode-remap-alist' is rather new in emacs history,
> so I suppose there is no code other than `set-auto-mode' (and its
> helper functions) that takes `major-mode-remap-alist' into account
> when it determines the major mode function to run.

Well, that's a pity :-(

> You mean that they want to have AUCTeX for LaTeX documents (.tex files)
> and built-in mode for Org source blocks? That's very unusual
> situation; :-)

Yes, that's a possible scenario I had in my mind.  This is at least my
observation over the last couple of years that AUCTeX's take-over of
various major modes was not appreciated by everybody.

> I'd say that people who have such strange preference should be
> prepared for their difficulty and be able to deal with it by
> themselves.

I don't use this feature, so I don't want to be against it too much, so
if you think it is a good addition, please go ahead and install it.  I
know where to forward the complaints once they arrive ;-)

Best, Arash