Subject: Re: bug#71363: 14.0.5; AUCTeX 14.05 and LaTeX Mode

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2024 22:15:12 +0900

Hi Arash,

>>>>> Arash Esbati <[email-masked]> writes:
> Ah, Ok, thanks.  And IIUC having an entry like this

> (latex-mode . LaTeX-mode)

> in `major-mode-remap-alist' doesn't help either, right?

I think so. `major-mode-remap-alist' is rather new in emacs history, so
I suppose there is no code other than `set-auto-mode' (and its helper
functions) that takes `major-mode-remap-alist' into account when it
determines the major mode function to run.

> My only fear is that we change things outside AUCTeX from Lisp and
> people will than tell us they use AUCTeX for usual TeX-writing and the
> built-in mode for Org source blocks; and then the real fun begins.

You mean that they want to have AUCTeX for LaTeX documents (.tex files)
and built-in mode for Org source blocks? That's very unusual situation; :-) 
I'd say that people who have such strange preference should be prepared
for their difficulty and be able to deal with it by themselves.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine
#Gaza #StopMassiveKilling #CeasefireNOW